Sausage And Potato Breakfast Casserole
Super easy to make and full of flavour, this Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole is a crowd pleasing breakfast! Easily made ahead, this breakfast casserole makes for the perfect holiday breakfast.
I love healthy breakfast ideas like this breakfast casserole recipe, especially during holiday seasons. Theyre so easy and quick to make, they can be made ahead of time so mornings are relaxing, and you can customize them however you want to suit the tastes of whoever youre enjoying the casserole with.
Casseroles are a great way to make a hands-off meal like my Zucchini Casserole Recipe, Baked Meatballs Casserole, Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole Recipe, and Cauliflower Casserole Recipe. While theyre not traditional breakfast recipes, these can also be served alongside breakfast, especially the vegetable-based casseroles.
The ingredients for this sausage and potato breakfast casserole are super easy to find and you probably already most of it in your kitchen already.
This casserole features sausages, potatoes, and bacon with warm melted cheese but you can easily add in whatever your heart desires. You can even substitute the potatoes for frozen hash browns!
Tips For Preparing This Breakfast Casserole
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Super Easy! This recipe is quick to throw together, then you just pop it in the oven and wait for it to bake!
So Tasty! The classic breakfast flavors combine to create a savory and satisfying casserole you will want to whip up on the regular!
It’s Adaptable! Dont have sausage? Try some crispy bacon! Make it vegetarian-friendly by ditching the meat in exchange for some of your favorite veggies. This casserole is as flexible as they come!
Don’t Miss: Breakfast Ideas With Eggs And Toast
Can Sausage & Potato Breakfast Casserole Be Frozen
This breakfast casserole can be assembled and frozen unbaked or baked. Perfect for when you want to drop off a casserole to a friend that has had a baby or surgery.
I prefer to freeze this casserole unbaked. To bake the casserole after freezing, thaw completely and bake as directed below. You can also freeze this casserole after baking and reheat when ready to serve. To reheat, thaw completely and microwave or cover and reheat in the oven.
Breakfast Hash Brown Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spray 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet, cook onions and brown and crumble sausage.
- Optional: Remove the cooked cooked sausage, turn the heat up to high and add in the hash browns. Pat them flat into the skillet. Allow them to brown then flip over and brown the other side. Then continue with the rest of the recipe.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, 1 cup of shredded cheese and salt and pepper.
- In the prepared baking dish, spread hash browns evenly into bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage on top of hash browns.
- Next, pour egg mixture evenly on top of that layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar cheese evenly on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Take foil off and bake for additional 10 minutes. Just keep an eye on it to make sure the cheese doesnt brown up too much.
You May Like: Mcdonald’s 2 For 3 Breakfast
Ingredients For Sausage Egg And Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
This is one of my favorite recipes for breakfast casseroles. The ingredients are simple and easy to throw together. You can even prepare the ingredients in advance in anticipation of a busy morning.
Heres what youll need for this breakfast casserole:
- 26-32 ounces frozen hash browns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground pork sausage
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
How Far In Advance Can You Prep An Egg Bake
This egg casserole recipe can also easily be turned into a make-ahead breakfast casserole. Which is perfect to serve to guests who are staying overnight during the holidays or any other time of year. You can completely prepare everything the night before. In the morning, all you do is take the pan with the sausage egg casserole from the fridge and pop it in the oven.
Half an hour later a complete breakfast is ready to be served. Well, you should probably brew a pot of coffee as well and some crusty bread with this casserole dish is never a bad idea either.
Also Check: Seneca Lake Bed And Breakfast
More Casserole Recipes To Make
If youre in need of another easy casserole recipe like this sausage and potato breakfast casserole, try these ones:
- Cauliflower Casserole Recipe: Made with 9 ingredients, this casserole is packed with vegetables and cheese!
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe: Made with roasted spaghetti squash, this easy casserole is low carb and gluten-free, making it great for entertaining.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole Recipe: Made without condensed soup and loaded with healthy vegetables, this broccoli and cauliflower recipe is done in 30 minutes.
- Sweet Potato Zucchini Casserole: Made in less than 30 minutes, this veggie-based casserole is made quickly and easily.
Did you make a recipe? Tag @primaverakitchen on Instagram so we can find you!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Substitutions For Restricted Diets
If you have a dietary restriction or are short on an ingredient, it is still possible to prepare this breakfast casserole recipe. For lactose-free diets, use your favourite lactose-free milk and cheese to make this a dairy-free egg recipe with excellent results.
For gluten-free, this casserole contains all traditionally gluten-free ingredients. However, you should always read cheese labels to make sure the cheese doesnt contain wheat. Additionally, it is beneficial to ensure that the cheese wasnt processed in a facility that also makes gluten-filled products.
Although cheddar cheese and mozzarella are recommended, you could really use anything that becomes similarly melty and stretchy. Swiss, Gruyere, and Gouda would all be excellent choices to add to your egg mixture. Dont use drier cheeses like Parmesan or crumbly ones like goat cheese or feta. They wont sufficiently melt into the egg mixture giving the breakfast casserole that creamy texture.
Recommended Reading: When Does Mcds Stop Serving Breakfast
Recipe Variations For This Sausage And Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Swap the sausage for other proteins such as shredded chicken, steak, ham, or tofu.
- You can also swap regular sausage for bacon, ham, or chicken sausage.
- You can even add vegetables into the casseroles such as carrots, red bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, Brussels Sprouts, and more.
- Want to use a different cheese? Try parmesan, cheddar, Gruyere, pepper jack, feta, goat cheese, or swiss cheese. You can even use a mix of different cheeses if you have to empty out the fridge!
- Swap regular bacon for turkey bacon for a lighter option.
- You might want to add some spices and fresh herbs for additional flavor.
Ingredients For Your Shopping List
- 1 cup milk- You can use whatever percent milk you happen to have. You can also use half and half for this recipe, but it does make the recipe more rich.
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Salt and pepper can be adjusted for taste, but these are great measurements to start with for beginner cooks.
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounces frozen diced hash browns I use two 12 ounce bags of the Potato OBrien style potatoes, thaw before you stard. See notes section in the recipe card at the borrom for swapping in other kinds of hashbrowns. See FAQ section in the article for how to swap in fresh potatoes into this recipe.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage I like to use a breakfast style sausage like Jimmy Dean but any sausage will work. You can use a little less for a casserole that is a little less rich. Ive used as little as a half of a pound and it was still tasty.
- 2 cups cheddar cheese You can reduce some if you prefer your dish to be less cheesy.
- 2 stalks green onions dice the green onions, optional
Recommended Reading: Vegan Breakfast On The Go
Easy Sausage & Potato Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast casseroles are a favorite at our house, especially during the holidays. This Sausage & Potato Breakfast Casserole is at the top of our list. It is easy to make and tastes fantastic! It is super creamy and packed full of great flavor. Sausage, creamy potato soup, eggs, and CHEESE! I mean, how can you go wrong with this combination. All you need is some fruit and biscuits and you are set!
Preparing The Perfect Breakfast Casserole
Breakfast casseroles require a fair amount of cook time. But once the eggs are cooked, you dont want to leave them sitting in the oven until the meat and veggies are tender. This would cause the eggs to dry out.
For this reason, all the filling components for this sausage breakfast casserole are cooked in advance before hitting the baking dish. I pre-blanch the potatoes in boiling water. Then I sauté the vegetable mixture and spiced sausage in a skillet. That way all parts are cooked by the time the eggs are set. This is also a good idea for your favourite quiche recipes or frittata recipes.
Another excellent way of ensuring perfectly tender, custard-like eggs in your easy breakfast casserole is to incorporate fat. In the case of this breakfast casserole, shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese and a 1/3 cup milk lighten up the egg mixture. They make the casserole delightfully fluffy.
Also, try not to overbake your eggs. A good rule of thumb is to cook the casserole until the middle has the slightest movement but is otherwise set. This casserole dish has a total time of 30 minutes for baking.
Recommended Reading: Bed And Breakfast Eugene Oregon
Baked Cheddar Eggs & Potatoes
Grab your biggest baking dish and get ready to enjoy these delicious cheddar eggs and potatoes.
This is a simple breakfast thats packed with flavor, thanks to the garlic, parsley, and sharp cheddar cheese.
The red potatoes offer some crunchy texture while the eggs give it a creamy finish.
Plus, you can easily customize this meal by adding any additional ingredients that you like bacon or sausage would be great options!
Its an easy-to-make recipe that everyone will love.
So why not try it out?
Not too long ago, breakfast was the same every morning.
But now, there are so many delicious options that make it easy to switch things up.
One of my favorites is this Skillet Potato and Egg Hash.
Its got all the components of a great breakfast: eggs, potatoes, bacon, peppers, onions, and cheese!
Plus you can add other ingredients like cilantro and garlic for even more flavor.
Its an incredibly easy dish to prepare all you have to do is cook everything in one skillet!
So if youre looking for something new and tasty in the morning , give this hash a try.
Im sure youve heard of breakfast scrambles before.
But this Cheesy Potato Egg Scramble is something special!
Its filled with creamy potatoes, cubes of ham, and ooey-gooey cheese.
Plus its seasoned with Old Bay seasoning for a unique flavor.
Its the perfect hearty and comforting dish to enjoy any time of day.
Serve it up with some sour cream and chives on top for a delicious meal that your family will love.
What About The Leftovers
Just like egg muffins, leftovers are perfect for busy weekday mornings.
Fridge Theyll keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or the oven.
FreezerCan you freeze breakfast casserole? Yes, you sure can! This will last in the freezer up to four months. Wrap individual and store in freezer bags. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or the oven
You May Like: Jimmy Dean’s Breakfast Burrito
How To Make Gluten
The first step to making delicious breakfast casserole is to cook the sausage and vegetables in a large skillet over medium heat. The onions and peppers in this casserole wont cook anymore once they are mixed into the the casserole so I like to get them nice and soft while I brown the sausage mixture.
After the veggies have cooked, add the spinach and let it wilt for just a few minutes. I also love the pretty colors in this casserole with the the red pepper and spinach!
Many breakfast casseroles use soaked bread for texture but I keep this breakfast casserole gluten-free by adding frozen hashbrowns. They make it hearty and give it a great consistency.
Also be sure to add a good teaspoon salt and pepper when you mix everything in a large bowl so this casserole is flavorful once its cooked.
Make it over the holidays or the next time you have a big group of people to feed on a busy morning!
How To Make It
The ingredients for this egg and potato casserole are simple eggs, milk, sausage, hash browns, cheese, salt and pepper.
COMBINE. Dividing the cheese and setting a cup aside, mix your eggs, milk, sausage hash browns, salt and pepper. Mix until combined and then pour it into a greased 9×13 pan.
BAKE. Bake this at 350°F for 20-35 minutes. Take the dish out, top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. Let set a few minutes before serving.
Don’t Miss: Bed And Breakfast In Montana
More Tasty Breakfast Recipes
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Roll Bites – Cinnamon roll bites are the perfect sweet treat or breakfast to make with your kids!
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole – This copycat recipe is incredibly easy to prepare and will satisfy your craving for comfort food!
- Ham And Cheese Omelet – Get your day started off right with a protein-packed ham and cheese omelet!
- Leftover Prime Rib Breakfast Burritos – When you have prime rib on the menu, set some leftovers aside for the ultimate breakfast burrito!
- Breakfast Sandwich – Make these delicious breakfast sandwiches when you need an on-the-go meal!
- Chocolate Pancakes – These chocolate pancakes are delightfully fluffy, easy to make, and perfect for every chocolate lover out there!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. Stay in touch with me through social media @ , , , or ! Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
How To Make An Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Cube the potatoes, about ¼ in size.
- Finely chop the onion and cube the red and green pepper, and mushrooms.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage.
- Then saute the vegetables.
- Next, whisk together eggs, half and half with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage, vegetables, egg mixture and cheese.
- Then transfer to a baking dish and top with more cheese.
- Bake the casserole and enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Bed And Breakfast Ludington Mi
Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes
A little complicated to make, but totally worth it these twice-baked breakfast potatoes are decadent and delicious.
Theyre a great way to start your day with all the flavors of a hearty breakfast in one bite.
The combination of crispy bacon, creamy cheese, and buttery potato is a match made in heaven.
Plus they come together quickly with just a few ingredients.
You can even prepare them ahead of time and bake the next morning for an easy meal that everyone will love!
Sausage Egg And Potato Casserole
I have the best breakfast recipe to share today. We had family in town for New Years and my fabulous sister-in-law whipped up this delicious breakfast casserole full of sausage, potatoes, bell peppers, cheese and eggs. How can you even go wrong with all of those ingredients?
Growing up my mom always made breakfast casseroles for breakfast on holidays. Now she makes them every time we are visiting for the weekend. It always gets us all together to enjoy a nice breakfast as a family. And, thats exactly the memory I want my boys to have. I want to them to grow up remembering our family meals together. It also helps that your house smells amazing first thing in the morning.
This is the perfect holiday breakfast to fix for a large crowd. But, dont feel like you have to make it just for a special occasion. I think its perfect for any weekend. Plus, youll have plenty left over. I think Im going to start making this for breakfast on Sunday and then we can have it for breakfast throughout the week unless you have a house full of people. Then, be prepared for it to disappear quickly because its that good. And, dont feel like you can only have this Sausage, Egg, Potato Breakfast Casserole for breakfast. This would be a delicious dinner too.
We love dinner for breakfast in our house. Brinner for the win!
Read Also: Bentonville Ar Bed And Breakfast
Panettone Cherry French Toast Casserole
Panettone cherry french toast casserole is an impressive meal to make for your loved ones! A chocolate chip panettone loaf is cut up into cubes, soaked into an egg mixture then topped with cherry pie filling, chocolate chips, and oatmeal streusel.
Panettone cherry French toast casserole