Why Youll Love This Breakfast Casserole
I am all for breakfast food at any time of the day. How do you all feel about breakfast for dinner? We partake in it often at my house because it makes everyone happy and when that happens you just have to go with it.
Breakfast casserole is definitely one of my go-to options when I need an easy, filling option for a great breakfast or dinner. Or sometimes Ill even switch it out for this breakfast casserole with biscuits and gravy, if were in the mood for something heavier!
Food Comes From Farms
If we dont currently raise these ingredients on the farm we have at some point in the past. And we have family and friends all across the United States that raise chickens for eggs, pigs for sausage and other pork, milk for cheese and wheat for bread. We know that when we buy these ingredients at the grocery store we are supporting farmers in the USA and that makes us proud!
Here are a few other classic casseroles that can be found on our farmhouse table: Twice Baked Potato Casserole, Easy Mexican Casserole and Sausage Pizza Bubble Up Casserole.
This is a classic breakfast casserole for holiday mornings served alongside our Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls which can be made the day before.
The Best Sausage To Use In Breakfast Casseroles
That really comes down to personal preference, but for my money, the best sausage to use in breakfast casserole is either breakfast sausage or Italian sausage. Both of these kinds of sausage have a delicious flavor that pairs incredibly well with the other ingredients found in casseroles like this sausage and egg breakfast casserole.
When it comes to the way the sausage is processed, its always easier to use breakfast sausage in a tube and Italian sausage without casings. This makes it easier to cook and saves a lot of time.
Don’t Miss: Bed And Breakfast Florence Oregon
Why We Love This Sausage Egg Casserole:
This sausage egg bake is one of our favorite breakfasts for a few reasons.
- Protein Packed/ Veggie Loaded This egg bake is a great way to start your morning. Its high in protein and loaded with veggies which will help keep you full.
- Low Carb This egg bake is low carb so its perfect for all my keto friends out there. You could definitely add some shredded potatoes in the egg bake like our Egg Hash Brown Casserole or make my Crispy Roasted Potatoes to go with it if you arent low carb though! This sausage egg casserole has no bread, which makes it perfect for low carb!
- Paleo/Whole30 We follow a mainly paleo/whole30 diet and this is great if you do too! The egg bake is gluten/grain/dairy/soy/sugar free.
- Meal Prep Friendly Make this egg bake on Sunday and enjoy it all week! I slice it and put it in containers so its pre portioned + ready to eat.
Look at all those veggies and yummy sausage! Dont you just want to dive in?
In addition to being great for meal prepping, this recipe is also perfect for bringing to brunch/sharing with family + friends!
Try This Sausage And Egg Breakfast Casserole Today
This sausage and egg breakfast casserole is a true feast in every way. Its loaded with delicious meat, eggs, vegetables, potatoes, and cheese. Its everything we want in a breakfast in one easy-to-eat dish! Give this one a try, and I know youll find yourself making it again and again when you want a big, hearty breakfast.
Read Also: Is Yogurt Good For Breakfast
Can I Make This Sausage And Egg Casserole Ahead Of Time
Yes, you can make this Sausage and Egg Casserole the night before, and bake the next day. Prepare the recipe up to the baking. Cover well with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator overnight.
You can also reheat the casserole after it has been cooked. Cover with aluminum foil, and reheat in the oven at 350°F for 20-25 mins or until warmed through.
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Top your sausage-hash brown breakfast casserole with a generous sprinkle of chopped green onion or chives.
- tip 2 Serve this hearty dish on your brunch buffet along with bacon, fresh fruit salad and cinnamon rolls.
- tip 3 OBrien potatoes are diced and cooked with chopped green peppers and onions. They share a nice boost of extra flavor with no effort on your part. Flavored sausage, from a traditional pork breakfast grind to a spicy Italian or chorizo, play the same rolea meaty richness that rounds up the taste of a simple egg bake.
Read Also: Creekside Paradise Bed And Breakfast
Best Breakfast Sausage Seasoning
It’s truly amazing how a good spice blend can really change the entire flavor of a dish. Not to mention, homemade spice mixes are just so much better than the kind you buy from the store!
This breakfast sausage seasoning can be added to any of your favorite meats for that distinct sausage flavor that we all know and love. Go ahead and add it to any breakfast recipe for an extra punch of flavor!
If you are on the lookout for some tasty new recipes to start off your day, check out some of my favorite breakfast recipes!
Quick Tip On Baking This Egg Sausage Breakfast Casserole
One tip on baking this breakfast casserole — don’t undercook it. When you think it’s done, pull it out of the oven and insert a knife in it. The knife should come out clean, and the casserole should be set in the middle.
If the cheese is browning too quickly in your oven, you can cover it with a piece of foil for the last bit of baking. But crispy cheese is delicious on top too, so you’ll want some of it brown!
The secret ingredient this sausage egg cheese breakfast casserole is big croutons! While many breakfast casseroles use bread, this recipe is made without bread. Why use croutons?
Recommended Reading: Breakfast Casserole With Eggs Sausage And Cheese
Overnight Sausage And Egg Casserole
BreadThis easy overnight casserole starts with bread. While most similar casseroles call for dried out french bread, I actually recommend basic everyday soft white sandwich bread fresh from the bag. Youll cut off the crusts, butter one side, and place the pieces butter-side-down in a 9×13 baking dish.
Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Its taken me 8 winters in Minneapolis to finally proclaim that I can hang with the polar bears around here:
1. We count years here by the number of winters one has endured. The more winters youve got under your belt, the more badges of honor.
2. Polar bears are really humans who throw their heads back and laugh in the face of extremely brutal temps.
I will probably never crack a smile about winter, but I can finally say Im officially Minnesotan: for the first time in my real and imagined life, I went for a two hour run in -12F actual temp
Admittedly, the spread of brunch food after our frigid group run made the day so. much. better. There were plenty of healthy grain bagels, GF and sugar free granola, fresh fruit, egg bakes, and healthy breakfast casseroles.
Speaking of healthy breakfast casseroles, check this irresistible Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Also Check: Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwich Instructions
What Makes This Breakfast Casserole So Easy
This Breakfast Casserole can certainly feed a crowd, but it is also perfect for a quiet breakfast with your husband or catching up with the girlfriends over brunch. I often make it for dinner too! Most of these ingredients can simply be opened and added to the pan.
This casserole also has the option of being prepared the night before, so all you have to do is bake it in the morning. Theres very little prep work involved and it will be in and out of the oven in 30 minutes!
What Are Some Of The Best Egg Casseroles To Make For Breakfast
When it comes to breakfast casseroles, eggs are a versatile and delicious option. Whether youre looking for something savory or sweet, theres an egg casserole recipe out there for everyone. Here are just a few of the best options:
Sausage Breakfast Casserole: This hearty dish is perfect for big appetites. Its packed with sausage, veggies, and cheesy goodness all topped off with a fluffy layer of eggs.
Hash Brown Casserole: A classic favorite, this dish is always a hit. Its simple to make and can be tailored to your liking with different toppings like bacon, cheese, or green onions. Plus, who doesnt love hash browns?
French Toast Casserole: If youre in the mood for something sweet, this casserole is for you. Made with bread soaked in a cinnamon-spiced egg batter and baked to perfection, its sure to start your day off on the right foot.
Don’t Miss: On The Go Keto Breakfast
Sausage Egg And Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole, or Christmas Casserole as its known at our house, is and easy to prepare recipe. Youve been busy with holiday cooking and want to feed the family, perhaps guests too, a great breakfast. This casserole can even be made the night before.
Theres no heavy bread in this dish. After all, arent we still stuffed from Christmas dinner. Fluffy eggs, your favorite breakfast sausage and cheese. Cause we all love cheese right?!
This breakfast casserole is one of my personal favorites. Us Southerners love our hot sauce too and I add a few dashes to my serving. Its so good! I occasionally make this when we are in the mood for a breakfast for supper kind of night. If you have leftovers, they re-heat beautifully in the oven the next day.
I appreciate an easy to prepare breakfast after Ive spent days cooking. December also happens to be a very busy month overall with baking homemade goodies, decorating, and most likely shopping. There are trips to the post office, cards to write and send. I love it all but am ready for the New Year after December 25th rolls around.
Printable Recipe Card at the end of this post
Tips For Making A Quick Egg Casserole
- Since the number of eggs can be varied the thickness of the casserole will affect baking time
- Milk can be substituted for half milk and half cream or half and half for a richer casserole
- To make a bacon sausage and egg casserole use half a pound of sausage and half a pound of bacon
- Original, maple or zesty sausage can be used, find your favorite flavor and enjoy
- Bread should be slightly dried out or toasted before cutting into cubes. Weve prefer smaller cubes as they mix in with the other ingredients to create the best flavors in every bite
- To freeze casserole cut into individual servings, allow to cool, wrap in a paper towel and freeze individual portions in freezer bags
- Garnish with sliced green onions or chives
You May Like: Bed And Breakfast In Nh
Sausage Egg Casserole Without Bread
This healthy Sausage Egg Bake is perfect for breakfast. Easy to make, paleo, whole30, and so yummy. Its veggie loaded, perfect for meal prep, and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Clickhere to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Meet your NEW fav breakfast: This Sausage Egg Bake! This sausage egg bake is ridiculously versatile, requires minimal effort to make, and it tastes AMAZING.
If youre the kinda person who loves a hearty egg based breakfast but doesnt necessarily have the time to cook up veggies/eggs every morning youll love this recipe!
How To Make Apple Coffee Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8×8 inch pan. .
- Streusel topping: Combine all the streusel topping ingredients in a small bowl. Mix with a fork, or your fingers, until the mixture resembles crumbs. Set aside.
- Cake: In a large bowl beat together ¼ cup butter and ¾ cup brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Stir flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Add to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Prepare apples and fold into the batter. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer.
- Cream cheese filling: Use electric mixers to mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Spread over the cake batter in the pan.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving. That will give the cake and cream cheese layer some time to set up so that when you cut into the cake youll have those three gorgeous layers: apple cake, cream cheese filling and streusel topping.
Freezing Instructions: Allow the cake to cool completely. Cover tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Read Also: Breakfast Sausage Recipes For Dinner
Breakfast Sausage Seasoning Ingredients
These herbs and spices are incredibly common and you may even have most of them! If you are missing any then you can easily snag them on a quick grocery run!
- Sage – 1 teaspoon of ground sage.
- Thyme – ½ teaspoon of ground thyme.
- Fennel– ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds that are finely crushed or ground.
- Salt& Pepper – ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Feel free to adjust this to your taste.
- Nutmeg – teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- Red Pepper Flakes – A pinch of red pepper flakes
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
How To Make Breakfast Sausage Seasoning
There is nothing easier than simply mixing together some spices! Grab a small bowl, your measuring utensils, and an airtight spice jar to store it in!
This recipe will make about 2 teaspoons of breakfast sausage seasoning which is the perfect amount for about 1 pound of meat.
This seasoning can be used to enhance any of your favorite breakfast dishes or sausage recipes! You can even use it to add flavor to appetizers like some sausage cream cheese dip! Enjoy!
You May Like: Bed And Breakfasts In Williamsburg Va
Can I Freeze Breakfast Casserole
This is the perfect casserole for freezing. Bake the casserole according to directions and allow it to cool completely. After it is completely cooled, you can place it in an airtight container or zip top bag. Lay it flat in your freezer for up to a month. You can also cover your baking dish tightly with aluminum foil, then at least two layers of saran wrap.
When youre ready to reheat the casserole, take it out of the freezer and transfer to an oven safe dish if you froze it in a ziplock bag. If you froze it in the original baking dish, be sure to remove any plastic wrap. Bake the casserole in your oven for about 25 minutes at 350F, or until the center is warm. No need to thaw. This makes it easy to have on hand for the holidays, too!
Basic Scrambled Egg Casserole Recipe
This is a go-to breakfast casserole in our house, but it is also an easy casserole to eat for any meal. There are only 6 simple ingredients, scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, sausage, bread, milk, and salt. We use a simple 9×13 pan and simply enjoy eating this!
We LOVE easy casseroles in our house! Eggs are such an economical and filling protein that we love our flavor-filled Everything Bagel and Sausage Casserole and Ham, Egg & Cheese Casserole.
Another variation of this casserole is the Turkey Sausage & Egg Casserole and our Bacon Breakfast Casserole and we LOVE it becausebacon!
I asked my husband to describe this casserole. He said, Its like a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich without the bun. We had some nice little rolls, so I took my slice of casserole and made a sandwich! The rest of the family preferred to eat theirs without bread.
We had a little leftover casserole so I cut it into serving sized pieces, wrapped it in a paper towel and put in freezer bags in the freezer. This will make a great breakfast in the future.
You can add more eggs if youve got more people or hungry people to feed. Reduce the eggs and milk a little bit for a smaller portion. My son likes more eggs, less milk and the longer cook time to avoid the soggy egg texture.
You May Like: Seneca Lake Bed And Breakfast
How Do You Make A Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add scallions, red pepper, and cheese to the casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the casserole dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are firm and golden brown on top.
Substitutions For This Sausage Egg Bake Recipe:
Milk If youre not doing a whole30 you can sub almond milk with regular milk or your milk of choice
Cheese You can add whatever cheese you would like to this recipe. Cheddar + goat would be delicious!
Seasonings You can add onion powder, basil, thyme, oregano really anything you like! If you have some fresh parsley or basil lying around chop them up and add them in!
Sausage Make sure youre buying good quality sausage or make your own. If you cant find a whole30 friendly sausage, you can buy ground pork, cook it up and add it to this recipe.
Veggies Any/all veggies will go in here for the most part. Feel free to add more, or sub in kale, broccoli, tomatoes, etc Use up whatever you like/whatever is in your fridge! You can also try our Veggie Breakfast Casserole!
WW Freestyle Note: You can save 8SP per serving by using turkey sausage. With turkey sausage this dish is only 4SP
You May Like: Buckhorn Cabin Bed And Breakfast