Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
If youve been a reader for a while, you know I love breakfast casseroles! This Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is similar to my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, except that it uses hashbrowns its also a little bit like my Easy Breakfast Casserole or Overnight Breakfast Casserole, but that one has no meat and adds crescent rolls. Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is more of a classic recipe, with all the standard savory breakfast ingredients.
You can absolutely make this recipe ahead of time just like my Overnight Breakfast Casserole, thoughjust assemble everything the night before, cover it tightly and pop it in the fridge, then bake it in the morning. Let the dish sit on the counter while your oven preheats.
Alternative Or Optional Ingredients
Optional ingredients are sour cream or hot sauce for serving for those who want it and green onions for garnish.
I keep this breakfast bake simple with the seasonings and just use salt and pepper. You can add additional seasonings, of course, if you want. Garlic powder, onion powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper to give the morning casserole a kick would be great too.
Alternative ingredients that you may prefer include: turkey sausage or Italian sausage if you like those flavors better than the breakfast sausage.
Sausage Egg & Cheese Hashbrown Breakfast Bake
I use a deep 9 x 13 baking dish for this recipe. Lightly spray the casserole dish with some non-stick cooking spray then add the shredded hash brown potatoes to form the bottom layer.
To keep things simple, I just add the refrigerated hash browns as they are. If you really prefer crispy hash browns and want that texture in your casserole, then you can brown them in a large skillet over medium-high heat before adding to the baking dish.
Don’t Miss: Best Bed And Breakfast In Northern California
Easy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
What to serve with hash brown breakfast casserole? The casserole is hearty and easily makes the entire meal itself but if youre serving a larger crowd then consider also serving the casserole with a few more options.
Toasted bread with jam, biscuits, and fruit are great options. Dont forget the beverages. Water, juice for a healthy dose of vitamin c first thing, coffee, or tea would be wonderful with this hashbrown casserole.
What Is Breakfast Hash Brown Casserole Made Of
Heres what youll need to make this awesome baked casserole for breakfast:
- Hash Brown Potatoes I prefer the refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes, like those from Simply Potatoes. The refrigerated hash browns make for easy breakfast recipes and there is no need to waste time waiting around for frozen potatoes to thaw.
Could you use something besides shredded hashbrowns? You could use the frozen hash brown patties or tater tots if that is what you have on hand.
- Pork Sausage I like to use the hot breakfast sausage from Jimmy Dean or Neeses. Those are just two or our favorite brands but use whatever you prefer.
- Red Bell Pepper for texture, color and added flavor. Any color of sweet bell pepper would work just fine too.
- Small Onion I used a yellow onion for delicious added flavor in the casserole bake.
- Cheddar Cheese My preferred choice is extra sharp cheddar cheese because it adds that cheesy goodness and is one of my favorite things in a good breakfast casserole. Fresh grated cheeses are also my preference.
Do you have to use cheddar? no, you can use whatever you like. Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Colby Jack or whatever you like best would be fine too. Just add lots of cheese that makes you happiest.
- Large Eggs pastured eggs if you can get them are so flavorful and nutritious.
- Whole Milk to help create the creamy eggs mixture.
- Salt and Black Pepper for seasoning.
You May Like: Bed And Breakfast Gift Card
Recipe Notes And Helpful Tips
- Frozen hash browns take about 1 hour to thaw so plan accordingly.
- You can use shredded or diced hash browns. I think the shredded work just a little bit better because the cheese and eggs seem to melt down between the layers of the shredded potatoes.
- Any colored pepper will work for this recipe red, orange, yellow, or green. I just prefer the red because of the sweetness it lends to the dish.
- Use pork, chicken, or turkey sausage as longs as it breaks up and browns.
- Try adding diced smoked ham or chopped crispy bacon.
- Experiment with different cheeses like Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Muenster, Provolone, Mozzarella, or Pepper Jack.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave at a reduced power.
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole hash browns, sausage, eggs & cheese can be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen until ready to bake! Great for overnight guests and Christmas morning!
Remember this recipe.
This Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is perfect for Christmas morning. It can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to pop it in the oven. Christmas morning is hectic enough without having to worry about breakfast. Pop this casserole in the oven when you get up and it will be ready after all the presents are open.
This casserole has all of my favorite breakfast foods. Frozen hash browns, sausage, eggs and cheese. I browed the hash browns prior to putting them in the casserole. I think it helped get the potatoes fully cooked and crispy. Feel free to skip that step if you wish. Also, I used hot breakfast sausage in this casserole. I think it adds more flavor, but feel free to use all regular breakfast sausage or half regular and half hot.
Read Also: Havre De Grace Bed And Breakfast
This Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole Is Loaded With Delicious Breakfast Sausage Hash Browns And Lots Of Cheese One Of The Best Breakfast Casserole Recipes For Holiday Breakfasts Sunday Brunch Or Any Other Occasion
Hearty breakfast casserole recipes are something that I love but dont get the opportunity to indulge in very often. Breakfast just isnt a big deal in our house.
Make sure you PIN Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole!
Mornings are hectic already so I tend to just stick to with the quick and easy basics. Eggs, smoothies, toast and fruit, those things.
But sometimes on the weekends I let myself indulge, like in this hashbrown breakfast casserole. Its a hearty and filling breakfast casserole, packed with two of my favorite breakfast foods sausage and hash browns.
And cheese, lots of cheese. ALL THE CHEESE!!!!!
Samantha says: I LOVE how many hash browns are in this recipe. Its perfect for a big cozy family brunch. I cant wait to make it again!
To keep this Sausage Hashbrown Casserole quick and easy, I use cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage and refrigerated hash browns.
Im talking real hash browns here, not the hash brown patties like those served at McDonalds.
Frozen hash browns would also work in this recipe but you need to cook them first according to the instructions on the package so I just like to save time by using refrigerated hash browns.
PRO TIP: Frozen hash browns have additional water from the freezing process. Before using them in any recipe, making sure to cook them according to package instructions.
Usually this just means heating them in a large skillet.
Adding them frozen could lead to a soupy, soggy breakfast casserole.
Super easy and no fuss!
Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
| Trisha |
Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is a filling, hearty and delicious way to start off your morning! Once you taste the combined flavors of this awesome morning bake, you will never want to skip breakfast again! This easy to make recipe can easily be prepared the night before and is perfect to enjoy on holiday mornings.
Plus, this sausage casserole recipe easily feeds 12 and I have a list of substitutions at the bottom in case you are missing an ingredient or want to change it up. Lets bake!
SEARCH THE RECIPE
Read Also: Bed And Breakfast Inns In Savannah Ga
Simple And Easy Breakfast Casserole
Serve this tasty Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole for your next potluck, brunch, holiday breakfast, Easter, or just make a batch on the weekend to reheat for the week. Moreover, this dish is tasty enough to add to your Christmas Morning lineup!
Above all, with just a few ingredients, you can have a delicious breakfast. Besides being tasty, this recipe is also stress free! Check out this recipe today and comment below on how you liked it!
Love breakfast casseroles? Check out my other favorites:
Not So Secret Ingredient
What makes this casserole tastes so creamy, rich and delicious? Hood Sour Cream! Sour cream is not just a topping. In fact, I love to bake with it sweet and savory recipes. I love that Hood Sour Cream is made with real Hood milk and cream with no artificial growth hormones. Hood is a local company in Massachusetts. In fact my family grew up drinking Hood Milk, and Hood Sour Cream was a staple topping at taco night and still is but now we buy the squeeze bottle.
Read Also: Westbrook Inn Bed And Breakfast
A Delicious Breakfast Casserole Without Eggs This Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Is Quick Easy And Delicious Perfect Breakfast For Any Holiday
Christmas morning has always been one of my favorite holiday traditions. We wake up early and open our stockings while sipping on coffee. After the stockings are open, we have a big breakfast that usually consists of sausage breakfast casserole and overnight french toast. Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole combines frozen hashbrowns, sausage, peppers, onions, Hood Sour Cream and cheddar cheese.
Sausage Hash Brown Patty Breakfast Casserole
Wednesday, September 7, 2022
Sausage Hash Brown Patty Breakfast Casserole Recipe super simple to make and tastes great! Frozen hash brown patties, sausage, cheese, eggs, milk, sour cream, dry mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder. Can make in advance and refrigerate or freeze for later. Perfect for hectic weekday mornings, lazy weekends, and Christmas morning.
Plain Chicken participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.
Remember this recipe.
Variations Of Sausage & Hash Brown Casserole
- A pound of bacon can be substituted for the sausage
- Serving with warm maple syrup totally changes this flavor of this casserole
- Bisquick can be cut in half or omitted to cut down on pancake flavor
- Another layer of cheese can be added on top if planning to serve without syrup
- The number of eggs and amount of potatoes can be increased and baked in a larger pan
- Casserole can be baked in a 9×13 inch pan for a much thinner casserole that bakes in about 30 40 minutes
- An uncovered casserole with brown nicely on top, to prevent browning cover with foil for the first half or all of the baking time
More Delicious Casseroles to Enjoy:
- Cheesy Bacon & Potato Casserole is a classic cheesy potato casserole with bacon added in.
- Crock Pot Cauliflower Casserole is loaded with bacon and cheese to make a great side dish or an entire meal all by itself.
Do You Have To Thaw Your Hash Browns For Hash Brown Casserole
Yes you should thaw your hash browns so the egg bake isnt soggy! Just leave them on the counter for about an hour, or in the refrigerator overnight. Place a thick layer of hash browns on the bottom of your pan.
I added sausage to my egg casserole. You can skip the sausage if you want, or use bacon! Just brown up some bulk breakfast sausage .
Once the sausage is browned and drained, sprinkle on top of the hash browns.
Then top it with shredded cheddar cheese .
Pour the egg mixture over the top in the casserole dish. Cover, bake for about an hour, and then remove the foil cover about halfway through baking, about 20 minutes.
Once the center is set, you will have the perfect egg casserole. Its the best brunch recipe for Christmas morning, but we also eat this for dinner! Its great with a side salad.
Read Also: When Does.mcdonalds Breakfast End
How To Make Hashbrown And Sausage Breakfast Casserole
As I mentioned, the key to this sausage breakfast casserole is all in making the potatoes nice and crispy before adding them to the casserole dish.
Meal Prep And Storage
- To Prep-Ahead: Chop the onions and peppers, cook the sausage and the veggies, and keep in the refrigerator until ready to finish. The entire dish can also be assembled up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated before baking.
- To Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
- To Freeze: Seal either the unbaked or baked casserole in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat: If the casserole is frozen allow it to defrost in the refrigerator overnight. To cook an unbaked casserole follow the baking directions in the recipe. For baked, place in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. You can also warm leftover individual slices in the microwave.
You May Like: Bed And Breakfast In Pigeon Forge
Can You Freeze Breakfast Casseroles
Yes! This easy breakfast casserole is freezer-friendly, making it perfect for future meals. You can reheat it for another breakfast, pack it into lunch boxes, or have breakfast for dinner.
After baking the hash brown casserole, allow it to cool to room temperature. Then cover it well the casserole will keep well in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
To reheat the frozen egg casserole, first let it thaw overnight in the fridge. Then, reheat individual slices as desired, or place the entire casserole into a preheated oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees., or even 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
To prevent the sausage breakfast casserole from drying out, cover the dish with aluminum foil. Youll only need to cook it for 20 to 30 minutes, just until it is heated through.
You can also freeze in individual glass square bowls with lids as you see pictured above freeze them just like you would refrigerate them and then reheat in the microwave for 5-6 minutes until fully defrosted and warm.
Best Egg Casserole With Hash Browns
I am always on the lookout for the best egg casserole recipes. Breakfast casserole recipes are my favorite brunch dishes, and Ive been known to make them for dinner when I get tired of the same old chicken recipes we normally have.
My cheesy egg casserole is something I make every year and adding hash browns just seemed like a natural progression. One of my readers told me about her NO FAIL egg casserole with sausage and cheese and hash browns, so I decided I NEEDED to recreate it.
Don’t Miss: Bed And Breakfast Thomasville Ga
With Sausage And Hash Browns
First cook up the sausage, peppers and onion and add to a large bowl. Add the cheese and slightly thawed hash browns.
Whisk up the eggs and cream, pour it right over. So now you are basically done. Was that easy or what! Pour into your casserole dish.
TIP: You are probably wondering why I didnt just mix it all up in the baking dish itself. You can do that, but wipe down the inside of your casserole dish or the egg that stuck to it while mixing will brown. It wont be pretty and we like pretty :). I find it easier to just mix it up
NOTE: Microwave the frozen hash browns for about 4 minutes to just semi-thaw them. If the potatoes are frozen it will take much longer to cook and will make your eggs tough.
Ready for the oven!
Bake it up for about 40-50 minutes.
Top with more cheese and AVOCADO!
Serving Suggestions For Breakfast Casserole
You can of course enjoy this breakfast casserole on its own but you can also serve it with other side dishes to turn it into a larger meal. For occasions like Christmas morning or a Mother’s Day brunch, for instance, you can serve this dish with a side of salad and a fruit tray this makes hosting a breeze and you can ensure you’re serving a larger group of up to 8 people comfortably.
Recommended Reading: Plant Based Breakfast Ideas For Weight Loss