How To Make Gluten
The first step to making delicious breakfast casserole is to cook the sausage and vegetables in a large skillet over medium heat. The onions and peppers in this casserole wont cook anymore once they are mixed into the the casserole so I like to get them nice and soft while I brown the sausage mixture.
After the veggies have cooked, add the spinach and let it wilt for just a few minutes. I also love the pretty colors in this casserole with the the red pepper and spinach!
Many breakfast casseroles use soaked bread for texture but I keep this breakfast casserole gluten-free by adding frozen hashbrowns. They make it hearty and give it a great consistency.
Also be sure to add a good teaspoon salt and pepper when you mix everything in a large bowl so this casserole is flavorful once its cooked.
Make it over the holidays or the next time you have a big group of people to feed on a busy morning!
Recipe Notes And Helpful Tips
- Frozen hash browns take about 1 hour to thaw so plan accordingly.
- You can use shredded or diced hash browns. I think the shredded work just a little bit better because the cheese and eggs seem to melt down between the layers of the shredded potatoes.
- Any colored pepper will work for this recipe red, orange, yellow, or green. I just prefer the red because of the sweetness it lends to the dish.
- Use pork, chicken, or turkey sausage as longs as it breaks up and browns.
- Try adding diced smoked ham or chopped crispy bacon.
- Experiment with different cheeses like Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Muenster, Provolone, Mozzarella, or Pepper Jack.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave at a reduced power.
How To Freeze Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Prepare the casserole per the instructions but do not bake. Then cover with several layers of plastic wrap and place in the freezer on a flat level surface. Freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or at least 12 hours. Remove from the fridge 40 minutes prior to baking to come to room temperature. Bake according to recipe instructions.
Recommended Reading: Breakfast Smoothies For Weight Loss
Brown The Sausage & Mix Eggs
To Bake Or Make Ahead
Cook it now or refrigerate overnight At this point you can either bake the casserole and serve or you can cover and refrigerate overnight and bake in the morning.
Bake NowSimply pour the egg mixture overtop and bake. Unlike a strata or french toast type recipe, you do not need to wait as there is no bread to soak up the mixture. So just make and bake.
Bake Later Cover the mixture tightly and refrigerate up to 48 hours. Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before baking .
Recommended Reading: Bed And Breakfast Sioux Falls
How To Store And Reheat
How long is breakfast casserole good for? After baking it’s best to store leftovers within 2 hours. They can be covered and safely stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
If you’d like to freeze the casserole, allow it to cool down to room temperature and cut it into squares. Wrap each one in plastic and place them in a freezer-safe bag. Keep frozen up to 3 months.
To reheat, allow the desired casserole squares to thaw in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave at 50% power for 1-2 minutes. Continue to cook at 50% power at 1 minute intervals until heated through. You can also reheat the squares in the oven at 350Â°F until heated through.
Variations On Sausage Breakfast Casserole
I love adding Italian sausage to this recipe along with fresh red and green peppers because the sausage has so much flavor!
- Meat: Sausage is my first choice in this recipe, it has lots of flavor!
- Vegetables: I use peppers and onions for flavor. Any veggie will do . If your vegetables are watery be sure to pre-cook them so they dont make the casserole watery. If you use veggies like asparagus or broccoli, steam until tender crisp.
- Cheese: Use whatever you have on hand! Gruyere or a bit of swiss also add a great flavor.
Also Check: Texas Star Bed And Breakfast
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole hash browns, sausage, eggs & cheese can be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen until ready to bake! Great for overnight guests and Christmas morning!
Remember this recipe.
This Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is perfect for Christmas morning. It can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to pop it in the oven. Christmas morning is hectic enough without having to worry about breakfast. Pop this casserole in the oven when you get up and it will be ready after all the presents are open.
This casserole has all of my favorite breakfast foods. Frozen hash browns, sausage, eggs and cheese. I browed the hash browns prior to putting them in the casserole. I think it helped get the potatoes fully cooked and crispy. Feel free to skip that step if you wish. Also, I used hot breakfast sausage in this casserole. I think it adds more flavor, but feel free to use all regular breakfast sausage or half regular and half hot.
Recipe Tips And Variations
You can easily swap out ingredients in this recipe to suit your needs. Here are a few recipe tips and variations to consider
- Swap out the hot sausage for mild sausage to reduce the spice level.
- Use 1lb. of crisp cooked bacon in place of the ground sausage.
- Cant find the OBrien potatoes? Use regular hash brown potatoes and add in 1 cup total of finely chopped red and green bell peppers, along with half of an onion, finely diced.
- I like using sharp cheddar cheese, but a Colby Jack blend or Mexican Cheese blend would also taste great!
Also Check: Breakfast With Mickey Disney World
Best Egg Casserole With Hash Browns
I am always on the lookout for the best egg casserole recipes. Breakfast casserole recipes are my favorite brunch dishes, and Ive been known to make them for dinner when I get tired of the same old chicken recipes we normally have.
My cheesy egg casserole is something I make every year and adding hash browns just seemed like a natural progression. One of my readers told me about her NO FAIL egg casserole with sausage and cheese and hash browns, so I decided I NEEDED to recreate it.
Recipe Tips And Notes
- It is best to use DEFROSTED hashbrowns for this recipe. You can brown your hash browns first before layering in your baking dish if you prefer the texture of crispy hash browns mixed with creamy eggs.
- If you opt to use tater tots instead of hashbrowns, do not defrost before layering in your casserole, but you will need to increase bake time by 5-10 minutes.
- Feel free to use only Â½ pound of sausage instead of a full pound if you would like to cut back on the amount of sausage used.
- This breakfast casserole recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd. Most bags of frozen hash browns come in 32 ounces and this recipe only calls for 16 ounces. Prepare as directed, but bake in a 9×13 pan.
- Feel free to add an additional 2 eggs to the custard if you like a really thick layer of eggs–just increase the bake time by 10 minutes.
- Be sure your pan is a 9×9 or 11×7 or you may need to increase bake time by 10 minutes.
Read Also: What Time Does Sonic Breakfast End
Breakfast Casserole With Sausage And Hash Browns
Nothing could be easier than this Egg, Sausage and Hash Brown Casserole served along side a beautiful Frozen Mimosa! We used chicken sausage to lighten it up and frozen hashbrowns to make it easy on the cook!
We love this casserole! Stuffed with cheese, sausage, peppers and frozen hash brown potatoes. Say what? You bought something other than ice cream in the frozen food aisle! I know! We dont do frozen much around here, but these little potato nuggets are a gift! Just cubed potatoes that have been frozen. Turns out they are nothing to be scared of. mmmmm, what else is lurking in that frozen food aisle that Ive been missing.
We used a low fat chicken sausage but you can go whole hog . Mild or spicy, breakfast sausage or Italian sausage. They will all work! We dont like tons of spice so a chicken breakfast sausage did the job for us.
Angela’s Tips & Recipe Notes
- To quickly bring eggs to room temperature, set them in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
- If choosing to add the optional bell peppers or onions and you want them softened, sauté them with the sausage as it browns.
- If you dont have shredded hash browns on hand, I have also tried this recipe with frozen tater tots and found it to be just as tasty. Make sure they are fully thawed before making your casserole!
- If you have a larger bag of hash browns and want to use it up, this recipe can accommodate 32 ounces of hash browns.
- Need to feed a crowd? Try using 10 large eggs or 2 pounds of sausage to feed more guests.
Don’t Miss: How Long Is Wendy’s Breakfast
How To Make Sausage Hash Brown Casserole:
You only need a handful of simple, affordable ingredients and about 15 minutes to prep this dish. Lets get started!
Ingredients for the Make Ahead Sausage Egg Hash Brown Casserole:
- Salt, onion powder and garlic powder
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Step 1: Brown the sausage in a skillet
Step 2: Prepare the Egg Mixture
While the sausage cooks, whisk together the eggs, milk , 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
Step 3: Arrange Ingredients in the Dish
In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combine the hash brown potatoes, cooked sausage, 1 cup of cheese and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Step 4: Pour Egg Mixture over Top and Finish with Cheese
Pour the egg mixture over the casserole, then sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese over top.
Step 5: Bake the Casserole
Cover the dish with foil and bake the casserole in a 350 degree F oven for 50 minutes. Then remove the cover and return the dish to the oven for about 10-15 more minutes, or until the eggs are set. Let the casserole stand for a few minutes before slicing and serving!
Whats In A Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
This easy egg casserole has a few different layers:
- Hash browns: I used about half of a 30 ounce package of frozen hash browns.
- Sausage you can use bulk sausage or remove the casings from breakfast links. You can even substitute bacon.
- Eggs 6 large Egglands Best Eggs went into this casserole.
- Cheese I used 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese that I shredded myself.
- Spices A teaspoon onion powder along with garlic, salt, pepper and dried mustard add tons of flavor.
Also Check: High-protein Breakfast For Weight Loss
How To Make Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
This hash brown breakfast casserole is almost TOO easy–which let’s be honest, that is EXACTLY what you need when entertaining or holiday breakfasts.
Step One: Layer defrosted hash browns in a greased casserole dish.
Yes, you can brown your hash browns first in a skillet–but there is NO need to take this step unless of course, you are craving the texture of crispy hash browns mixed with creamy eggs.
If you are desiring, crispier hash browns, I would recommend browning the hash browns ups in the oven for 10-15 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. This way, you save yourself the step of browning in the skillet.
Step Two: Layer the hash browns with browned sausage.
Brown up sausage, breaking into small pieces as it cooks, and then drain off any excess grease. Layer the sausage evenly over the potatoes. If you are using ham, bacon, or vegetables, be sure to sprinkle over the potatoes evenly as well.
Step Three: Sprinkle cheese over top of the sausage and hash browns.
Wondering why I put the cheese on now before I add the egg custard?
This helps the cheese to be in every bite of the casserole, not just one gooey layer on top. But hey, if you are craving gooey, layers of slightly browned cheese like a classic lasagna, put the cheese on top of the egg mixture.
Step Four: Mix together the eggs with seasonings and milk and pour over the layers of hash browns, sausage, and cheese.
Step Five: Bake and serve.
Why We Love This Casserole
- Well to start off, this dish is full of cheesy goodness from the cottage cheese and the cheddar cheese, that bakes up nice and creamy.
- The breakfast casserole ingredients are all easy to find, nothing fancy is needed just a bag of shredded hashbrown potatoes, eggs, sausage, cottage cheese, and cheddar cheese.
- It takes minutes to prep. Just cook the sausage and stir in all the other ingredients then bake.
- You can make and bake this one day and heat it up for later. It’s also an easy make-ahead dish.
- Try pairing this casserole with a salad for an easy supper.
- Not that I don’t like soup, but this casserole is made without soup.
Don’t Miss: What To Eat For Breakfast On Mediterranean Diet
Hash Brown Sausage Breakfast Casserole
If you did your first trip to the Big Apple right, you probably started with a big slice or two of New York-style pizza. From there, hopefully, you moved onto a New York hot dog and then a hefty sandwich from a New York deli. These classic eats are part of the official NYC experience even if you did have to pull out the stretchy pants when you got home. If only there was a way to enjoy those treats without breaking the calorie bank.
I ordered a delicious Hash Brown Sausage Breakfast Casserole at the cutest diner when we were in NYC. I had to come home and recreate it. I think mine turned out even better!
Using a few simple ingredients, you can make this breakfast casserole or have breakfast for dinner in your own home.
What you will need to make Hash Brown Sausage Breakfast Casserole: al fresco all naturals fully cooked sweet apple chicken sausage, hash browns, eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
Al Frescos all naturals fully cooked sweet apple chicken sausage is 70% less fat and 30% less sodium than pork sausage. Its also dairy and gluten free!
I love NYC! I miss taking the ferry into the city for shows, dining and all of the wonderful art exhibits! And why does al fresco Love NY lately? Now through May 13, they are hosting an al fresco NYC Gourmet Getaway Sweepstakes.
More Breakfast Recipes You Will Love
A super easy make ahead and freezer friendly Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole that is totally customizable to suit your taste with different breakfast meats like sausage, bacon, or ham, different vegetables, and a variety of cheeses.
- Total Time:1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield:12 servings
- 30 ounces shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 3 green onions thin sliced
Also Check: New Orleans Bed And Breakfast
Why This Breakfast Casserole Works
Super easy:This couldnt be any easier to make and takes minutes to prepare. Browning the sausage takes the most time and that only takes a few minutes. This truly is effortless to put together!
Feeds a crowd: This casserole feeds a crowd so its perfect for brunches or you can meal prep this so you have breakfast ready for the week. Everyone will love this delicious and hearty casserole.
Easily customized:you can customize this recipe to your liking and preference. You can use your favorite veggies, cheese, and proteins.
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
In this easy tater tot breakfast casserole, you’ll find all of your favorite breakfast staples mixed together in savory, delectable layers! Tater tots are topped with bacon, breakfast sausage, eggs, and cheddar cheese to make a hearty casserole that no one can resist.
With just 5 minutes of prep time, this recipe is quick and easy to whip up on busy mornings, or when you are entertaining guests during the holidays! It is also great for meal prepping because the leftovers reheat beautifully.
Don’t Miss: Best Bed And Breakfast In New England
How To Make Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
The flavors of this Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole just cant be beat. The pork sausage mixed with creamy potatoes and gooey cheddar cheese make for the tastiest morning treat. In particular, this recipe makes for great leftovers too and gives you a hearty and delicious breakfast to serve all week long.
To make this dish, start by cooking the sausage in a large nonstick pan. Even more, this recipe is totally customizable as well. You can add spicy pork sausage, chicken breakfast sausage, or even a vegetarian sausage if youd like.
Next, remove the sausage and crisp up the hash browns. As for the hash browns in this breakfast casserole, you could use cubed frozen potatoes, or Ore-Ide Potatoes OBrien with chopped bell pepper or onion. Also, you really cant mess this dish up. When cooking the hash browns, you just need to cook them through. Likewise, dont worry about achieving the perfect golden hash brown thats on its package. Its one thing Ive never been able to do, and the flavor and taste is just as good.
Place the hash browns, sausage, and the cheese in a baking dish. Toss to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Lastly, pour egg mixture over the hash browns and top with remaining shredded cheese. You can either bake or cover and refrigerate for later.