Air Fryer Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Youre going to love this no fuss and easy tater tot breakfast casserole bake recipe in the air fryer! Traditionally tater tot casseroles are baked in big baking dishes for large servings. Perfect for weekend breakfast and great for a big family or if youre having guests over for brunch. What if you only want to serve small portions for 1-2 people? Thisr air fried tater tot bake version is perfect! You can easily cook a smaller portion of this popular morning meal faster. By using these accessory pans, you can cook smaller servings quick and easy!
How To Make Tater Tot Casserole:
Prep: Youll need a pound of breakfast sausage and 6 strips of bacon all cooked up and ready to go for this tater tot casserole recipe. We like to chop the bacon before frying, but you can also fry it up and then crumble it.
Eggs: Whisk together eggs, milk green chiles, salt, and pepper.
Layer: Place the sausage and bacon in a greased 9×13 baking dish and then top it off with some grated cheddar. Pour the egg mixture over the top.
Tots: Now all thats left to do before baking is to arrange the frozen tater tots in an even layer over the top of the cheesy breakfast casserole. Simple!
Bake: This breakfast tater tot casserole bakes in about 45 minutes. We like to top it off with some chives and serve it while its good and hot!
Sausage Gravy Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
Sausage Gravy Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole calls for just 5 ingredients and is made in just one skillet. This gluten free dish is fun, easy, and delicious!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I had my first experience cooking with red curry paste last week and needless to say I am the proud new owner of three jars because if I ever run out of this stuff, well, Ill probably just go buy more. That is to say, its incredible! I used it to make this Red Thai Curry Gnocchi dish and it was so good I ate the whole thing by myself in under 24 hours. Op.
I was sure the curry dish would be hard to make but it was nearly as easy as the recipe Im sharing today for Sausage Gravy Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole. Five ingredients one skillet, and killllllling it in the delicious department!
This idea popped into my head around 2pm one afternoon a few weeks ago and sounded so good that I abandoned my existing dinner plans to make it. Bonus: I already had everything I needed on hand. The dish turned out exactly how I pictured it would in my head. Love when that happens!
Sausage Gravy Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole is a cross between biscuits and gravy and tater tot casserole involving only the VIPS from each team, ie sausage gravy and, well, tater tots. I think Ill be 99 years old and still in love with tater tots. #sorrynotsorry
Recommended Reading: Breakfast Ideas For 8 Month Old
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole With Sausage Ingredients
-Tater tots: You will need a 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots, but the actual amount of tots will vary depending on how you place them in the pan. You do not need to thaw the tater tots beforehand.
-Sausage: You will need 1 pound of ground sausage for the casserole. You will be cooking it before mixing it into the casserole.
-Bacon: Use cup of your favorite bacon bits or chopped bacon that you cooked previously.
-Onions: You will need cup of chopped onions. I used sweet onions but red or white will both work well.
-Cheese: Use 2 cups each of shredded mild cheddar cheese and Colby Jack cheese.
-Eggs: You will need 6 large eggs for this casserole.
-Seasonings: You will need 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon of celery seeds, and teaspoon each of salt and pepper to make this casserole taste great.
-Peppers: Add in cup each of differently colored bell peppers like red and yellow for added sweetness and flavor.
-Milk: To stretch the filling out and keep the casserole moist you will need 1 cup of milk. I used 2% but you can use whole milk. I do not recommend using heavy cream.
Need Breakfast Casseroles Youve Come To The Right Place
Im surprised that its taken us this long to share this recipe. My wife has been making this Breakfast Casserole for years! Weve shared some pretty awesome breakfast casseroles and bakes over the years, like this Blueberry Breakfast Casserole or this Banana Oatmeal Bake. So, it was only a matter of time before we posted our classic Breakfast Casserole on here!
You May Like: High Protein Meal Prep Breakfast
Can You Freeze Unbaked Tater Tot Casserole
Absolutely! This is a terrific make-ahead freezer meal. Just like preparing overnight, assemble the dish but do not bake. Pro Tip: I recommend that you prepare the casserole in an aluminum pan that can easily go from the freezer to the oven.
Wrap the pan in a layer of plastic wrap, then in a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Can I Make This Dish The Night Before
Yes! You can make this breakfast casserole ahead. Simply make and assemble as directed and cover the pan well. Instead of placing it in the oven, place it in the fridge overnight. In the morning place the dish on the counter as the oven preheats so that the pan can warm up a bit before being cooked. Bake as directed.
Don’t Miss: Bed And Breakfast Fort Myers
Expert Tips And Variations For Making This Breakfast Casserole
- Change up the meat used you can use one type of meat or opt for a variety of meats like I did here. Or you can leave the meat out and make it a meatless breakfast idea.
- Swap Colby jack with pepper jack cheese for a nice kick, or even sharp cheddar.
- Frozen tater tots are best, they will bake up golden brown.
- Dice up some bell peppers and stir in the egg mixture for added flavor.
- If you want go ahead and use egg whites to replace whole eggs if you prefer. I find it tastes best with whole eggs.
- You can make a larger batch or smaller if you want.
Make Ahead And Storage
I like to make ahead certain dishes when Im entertaining to cut down on the time I am in the kitchen. If you make ahead Tater Tot Sausage Breakfast Casserole, you can store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
When ready to reheat, cover with aluminum foil and reheat in oven at 350 for 30 minutes, or until it is heated through.
Note that if you have leftovers and end up reheating Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole in the microwave, tater tots would no longer be as crispy.
Read Also: Port Angeles Bed And Breakfast
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole With Sausage & Eggs
There is no doubt that my sausage hash brown breakfast casserole is one of the most adored recipes here on Salty Side Dish. But I also get tons of questions on if the hash browns can be substituted for tater tots, so I decided to give this hack a try!
The great news? Substituting the hash browns for tater tots worked perfectly for a delicious dense potato base in this breakfast casserole. The best part about using tater tots over hash browns is that they already have a layer of fried outsides and brings a bit more crisp to the casserole no matter whether you choose this recipe or the other one, you will NOT be disappointed in this filling, delicious, and memorable breakfast.
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 package frozen tater tots
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
Can You Make This Breakfast Casserole In Advance
The best part, as always in my book, is the ease of this dish. With just a handful of simple ingredients its perfect for weekends, holidays, and even breakfast-for-dinner.
If youre not a morning person, I hear you with big elephant ears. No need to wake up early to measure a single thing.
This tater tot casserole can easily be assembled the night before and popped into the oven the next morning for a hearty meal everyone loves waking up to.
You May Like: Breakfast Recipes With Chicken Sausage
Recipe Notes And Helpful Tips
- I like Jimmy Deans All Natural pork sausage or Bob Evans Naturally pork sausage. Both are very flavorful.
- Crisp bacon or ham can be substituted for the breakfast sausage.
- Pro-Tip remove any excess grease from the skillet by tilting the pan and absorbing the grease with paper towels.
- Any color bell pepper works well with this casserole.
- For even more flavor add some dried herbs or seasonings. Mix it up so one herb is not overpowering. Think thyme, rosemary, marjoram, or oregano. Or try Italian seasoning, Creole seasoning, a little garlic powder, or dry mustard.
- This casserole can be prepped the night before.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- To freeze let the casserole fully cool then cover well with two layers of plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Garnish with fresh chives or fresh parsley.
What We Love About This Recipe
What makes this recipe great? Breakfast sausage tater tot casserole is full of all your favorite foods and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 1 Hour Meal: Tater tot casserole without soup takes some time to make, but your oven will be doing most of the work for you!
- Easy Ingredients: This recipe for sausage tater tot breakfast casserole calls for 8 easy ingredients that are al found in your grocery store.
- Family Friendly: Kids will beg for more of this sausage tater tot breakfast casserole, which includes many kid-favorite foods.
- Adaptable: If you dont like cheddar cheese you can substitute it for your favorite type!
- Makes Great Leftovers: Sausage egg casserole with tater tots is the perfect dish to be saved for later and will taste just as yummy as when you first make it.
Recommended Reading: Breakfast For 11 Month Old
How To Make This Recipe
Start by browning 1lb gluten free breakfast sausage with 1 cup riced cauliflower in an oven safe skillet. I add riced cauliflower or minced mushrooms to almost every dish thats centered around ground meat to add nutrients and heft, and you absolutely. cannot. taste it. Especially in this dish. That said, if you have everything else on hand but the cauliflower you can skip it.
Sprinkle in 3 Tablespoons gluten free flour then cook for 1 minute. I used Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour.
Next add 2-1/2 cups milk one big glug at a time until a smooth sauce has formed then add a pinch of homemade seasoned salt and tons of cracked black pepper. Once the milk has come to a bubble, turn the heat down and simmer until slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes. You dont want a soupy consistency, but make sure its saucy enough that the liquid wont over-reduce while baking which would result in a dry dish.
Now, believe or not, I use unsweetened almond milk to make this dish! Its totally creamy and you would never ever guess its not high fat cows milk or cream. If you want to go the cows milk route, I recommend using 2% milk fat or higher.
Last step is to arrange frozen tater tots from a 2lb bag in a circular pattern on top then bake according to the time and temp indicated on the bag. Its ok if some of the tater tots sink in the milk theyll be fine!
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
This Sausage Cream Cheese Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole has all of my favorites in one pan. Sausage, cream cheese, tater tots, eggs, and cheese. YUM! Super easy to make and it tastes great. Even though this is called a breakfast casserole, it is perfect at any time of the day! We love breakfast for dinner! Whip up some grits and biscuits and enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Round Top Bed And Breakfast
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole With Sausage And Bacon
A really great brunch should include all of your favorite morning meats, and this cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with sausage and bacon totally fits the bill! The meaty breakfast casserole also boasts plenty of cheddar cheese, onion, eggs and crispy potatoes for a flavorful, satisfying meal that bakes in one dish. Prep the easy breakfast casserole the night before if you need a convenient morning option, or bake it right away if youre ready to dive in. You can also switch up the ingredients, such as adding more veggies, ham, or other types of cheese. Use the recipe as inspiration and make it your own. Its versatile, simple, and always delicious!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole With Sausage
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage is a great breakfast recipe made with sausage, eggs, cheese, and tater tots that get crispy and brown on top. It is a cheesy comfort food your family will look forward.
I like to serve this tater tot casserole recipe on the weekend for brunch. It can be assembled the night before and baked in the morning to save on kitchen time and I love to serve it with a side of fruit and a Bloody Mary or Salted Caramel Mocha Latte.
Can You Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time
Its super easy to make this ahead in the air fryer accessory pan. Just make sure to allow this to come to room temperature a bit in the morning before cooking. Allow it to come to room temperature for about 20 minutes. That way its not going into the air fryer cold. It helps to have the ingredients not too cold so it can cook all the way through evenly. You want to make sure the eggs cook all the way through.
Tips For The Best Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Dont forget to thaw your frozen tater tots before you assemble the casserole. You can do this in the refrigerator overnight, or just leave them out on your counter while you cook the meats and prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Do not cover the casserole with foil while its baking. You want to allow the tater tots to get crispy and golden brown on top.
- Whole Milk. A full-fat milk is your best bet for an egg custard with a rich texture and flavor. Low-fat milk will work, but I do not recommend using skim milk or non-dairy milk alternatives.
- Garnish. I like to add a bright, fresh garnish to the casserole just before serving. Chopped fresh parsley, green onions or chives are nice, but just about any of your favorite herbs will work.
Also Check: Bed And Breakfast Northfield Mn
Heres How To Make This Tater Tot Casserole
Cook the bacon to your desired level of crispiness then drain any excess grease and chop into small pieces.
Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat crumbling and stirring while browning, set aside.
Place eggs, heavy cream and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly until all of the eggs are blended and everything is evenly mixed.
Add in sliced green onions and 1/2 cup of each of the cheeses, and mix thoroughly.
Arrange tater tots in an even layer on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
Layer the cooked sausage and bacon over top of the tater tots.
Pour egg mixture over the bacon and sausage.
Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until egg appears set.
Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over the top of the casserole and continue baking for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
Serve the casserole warm.
Cook Time: Total Time:
This tater tot breakfast casserole is so hearty and full of flavor! Tasty tater tots are topped with crispy bacon, savory sausage, fresh eggs and plenty of melty cheese!
- 1 lb Ground Breakfast Sausage
- 32 oz Package Frozen Tater Tots
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Green Onions
- 1 1/2 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Salt & Black Pepper
How To Store Or Freeze This Recipe
Leftovers can be stored in your refrigerator for 3-4. And YES, you can Freeze this Breakfast Casserole. Simply let if fully cool and individually wrap the different pieces in freezer wrap, a freezer bag, or both. It will be good in your Freezer for up to 3 months. Just put it in your refrigerator the night before you want to eat it to thaw.
Don’t Miss: Bed And Breakfast In North Carolina
What To Serve With This Dish
A Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is certainly a stand alone dish that can fill you up all by itself. But it also may be fun to serve it with some other breakfast goodies. Serving it along a sweet treat, like a Bisquick Coffee Cake, these Bisquick Cinnamon Rolls or this French Toast Bake would be a great idea! Then youd get that awesome sweet and salty combination!
More Delicious And Easy Breakfast Side Dish Recipes
Serve along side one of the following breakfast recipes
- Diced Skillet Breakfast Potatoes Easy Skillet Breakfast Potatoes fried up in a cast iron pan are such a simple side dish to make. Often referred to as âhome friesâ you can skillet fry up your potatoes and enjoy super tender centers and crispy skins.
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake Blueberry Breakfast Cake is a delicious way to bring in the blueberry picking season! Packed with fresh blueberries and perfect as a pairing with your morning coffee.
- Slow Cooker Grits Grits have never been easier! Slow cook your grits for a classic bowl of savory grits just begging for cheese, butter and bacon. Even if you have never made grits before, this one is for you!
- Cast Iron Blueberry Cake Grab your cast iron pan and whip up this blueberry cornmeal cake in just under an hour. A seriously southern, homemade cake that is perfection in every tasty bite.
Don’t Miss: Bed And Breakfasts Portland Maine