How To Make These Healthy Oatmeal Bars From Scratch
- Mash the banana: First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an eight by ten inch pan with parchment paper. In a bowl with a potatato masher or fork, mash the two bananas until smooth.
- Combine ingredients: Next, with a spoon, stir in ½ cup of the peanut butter, vanilla extract, quick oats, chocolate protein powder, dark chocolate chips, and finally, the roasted chopped peanuts. Stir all of the ingredient until they are evenly combined.
- Bake the oat bars: Gently, press the mixture into the prepared pan and bake the bars for fifteen minutes or until they are a lightly, golden brown color on top.
- Slice and enjoy: Once the oatmeal bars have finished baking, carefully remove them from the oven and transfer the baked mixture to a wire rack to cool. Once the bars are cool, cut them into twelve even bars.
Slice And Store Properly
Use a sharp chefs knife to slice these bars. I like to slice them into squares. Another option would be to slice them into bars like this. I think the squares are a little more sturdy. Be sure not to stack the bars on top of each other, or they can stick. You can store them flat, covered, or wrap them individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper.
Please let me know how your granola bars turn out in the comments! I love hearing from you.
- Total Time:20 minutes
- Yield:16 bars 1x
No Sugar Added Healthy Oatmeal Bars Recipe
You just cant have too many ideas for healthy breakfasts, can you? How about snacks? Or no-sugar added desserts? Please let me know you agree!! Oh, and you know Im all about what to do with ripe bananas and todays recipe solves all of these problems!! This healthy oatmeal bar recipe uses just 4 ingredients I can almost guarantee that youll have on hand. Its easy enough for kids to make. They are versatile enough to change them up and make them often. They store well and dont require utensils, so they are great for on-the-go. That said I think we have a winner!!
Recommended Reading: What Time Does Mcdonald’s Stop Serving Breakfast 2022
How To Make Apple Pie Oat Bars
Below are illustrated step-by-step instructions to make my Soft Oat Bar Recipe, if you prefer just the written instructions then head straight to the printable recipe card or the quick recipe video below.
Prep: Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius or 375 Fahrenheit, and line a baking tray .
Step one: In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, chia seeds and cinnamon
Step two: Add the melted butter and apple purée, mix to combine.
Step three: Press the mix into the bottom of the baking tind so that it is an even layer, it should be around 1.5-2cm thick. Bake at 180 degrees celsius or 375 Fahrenheit for 25 mins, it should be firm to the touch but not hard.
Step four: Cool and slice into squares or bars.
How To Make These Homemade Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl whisk the flaxseed with water.
In a large bowl, whisk the following 5 ingredients. Add in the flax egg mixture, then incorporate the remaining 4 ingredients.
Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, then allow it to fully cool before slicing it.
Read Also: Bed And Breakfast Manteo Nc
This Granola Bars Recipe Is Flexible
We have a history with granola bars. A while back, we shared a cooking failure. The subject was granola bars. They tasted great, but fell apart. So, we sort of gave up and moved on with the thought that one day, we would be ready to give them another shot. After two years, weve picked up where we left off and have now figured out how to make these simple, soft and chewy granola bars. Were in love. They taste great, are incredibly easy to make and they absolutely do not fall apart .
Weve made these many times now and every time, theyve been just a little bit different.
Here, you see whole almonds, dried cranberries and mini chocolate chips. Weve also used dried cherries, apricots and unsweetened coconut. Were even thinking about adding pistachios next time.
The possibilities are endless all you need to know is the base. Oats, butter, honey and brown sugar. After that, add what you like.
Common Breakfast Bar Ingredients To Keep On Hand
To make homemade breakfast bars a more regular part of your repertoire, we’ve compiled a list of common ingredients to keep handy at home. Stocking the pantry and fridge with these ingredients will ensure you have a delicious and nutritious breakfast option any morning, or the perfect post-workout snack. While some breakfast bar ingredients are perishable, and therefore harder to have on hand at all times, plenty are shelf-stable or last well in the fridge. Never go breakfast bar-less again.
Heres a list of common ingredients to get you started:
Don’t Miss: Healthiest Breakfast At Mcdonald’s
Ingredients You Will Need To Make These Healthy Oatmeal Bars
- Flax seed: a great way to add in fiber
- Bananas: make sure the banana is ripe
- Yogurt: we used coconut yogurt but you can use any other yogurt of choice.
- Nut butter: any nut butter like almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter
- Honey: we used honey for teh sweetener, but you can use agave or maple syrup.
- Almond milk: dont have almond milk, use any other milk.
- Oats: best to use rolled oats, but quick oats will work. Consistency will vary
- Baking powder and Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips: we used dark chocolate chips but dairy-free or sugra-free will work just fine.
Soft Baked Oatmeal Bars Perfect For Breakfast Or Snack
If youre on the hunt for an easy and nutritious breakfast or snack to go, youll love these Healthy Oatmeal Bars! Theyre soft baked to perfection and loaded with gooey chocolate chips and banana for the ultimate breakfast treat.
Not to mention, these breakfast oatmeal bars are super easy to prepare and contain wholesome ingredients, so theyre the perfect way to get the energy you need to face the day!
Eat them for breakfast on busy mornings, as a healthy snack, or add them to lunch boxes. Either way, you cant go wrong with these delicious bars!
You May Like: Bed And Breakfast Lincoln Ne
More Easy Snack Recipes
- Honey Almond Granola How to make homemade granola with rolled oats, almonds, honey, and vanilla. Save a little money and make granola at home.
- Easy Homemade Hummus With a few simple tricks, you really can make creamy smooth homemade hummus and yes, we really do think its better than store-bought.
- The Best Homemade Peanut Butter See how to make both creamy and crunchy peanut butter as well as an almond and chocolate variation.
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Use this simple homemade dressing as a dip for veggies or for tossing with your favorite salads.
Recipe updated, originally posted March 2013. Since posting this in 2013, we have tweaked the recipe to be more clear and added a quick recipe video. Adam and Joanne
Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
These fresh strawberry bars are such a filling way to greet the day.
I love that it uses fresh fruit for natural sweetness instead of loads of sugar. But, of course, if your strawberries arent ripe enough, you may need to add a little.
These are wonderful without any glaze. But if you prefer a sweeter breakfast bar, go ahead and add the vanilla glaze on top!
You May Like: La Bastide Bed And Breakfast
Why These Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars Are The Best
- Versatile: This healthy oatmeal bar recipe is a favorite because you can make it so many ways! Use different types of chopped nuts, fruit, nut butters, different protein powders, and more!
- Easy: This simple recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and so easy to make! All you do is mix everything in one bowl, bake the oat bars, then allow them to cool before eating. So straightforward!
- Full of Protein: The peanut butter, protein powder, oats, and peanuts give these moist oatmeal bars a good amount of protein which makes this recipe ideal for whenever you need to curb your hunger with a filling snack.
- Perfect Combination of Flavors: Chocolate and peanut butter are the perfect flavors! Nutty with rich chocolate, these oatmeal bars allow you to feel like you are eating dessert instead of healthy snacks!
- Healthy: These oat bars are made with healthy plant-based ingredients that are nutrient-dense and rich in fiber and protein. This recipe is gluten-free and fully plant-based!
Making The Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Preheat your oven to 350 degees Fahrenheit, and line an eight inch baking pan with parchment paper, or grease the pan well.
Stir all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make sure everything is evenly stirred, then smooth the batter into the prepared pan.
You can sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips on top if you want chocolate baked oatmeal bars. Then bake the recipe 20 minutes on the ovens center rack.
Do not open the oven door. Turn off the heat completely, and let the pan sit in the closed oven for an additional five minutes so the bars will firm up while maintaining their soft and moist texture.
Slice into bars. If desired, top the healthy banana oat bars with Vegan Cream Cheese.
Also Check: Bed And Breakfast Inns In Savannah Ga
Are Breakfast Bars Healthy For You
I often get asked if breakfast/cereal/granola bars are good or bad for you. This really is dependent on what ingredients are used, how big the portion size is and what sort of dietary lifestyle you follow.
Breakfast bars, depending on their ingredients, can be incredibly healthy for you. When made with whole grain cereal and sweetened naturally, they can be a delicious, filling and nutritious breakfast.
Ingredients For This Oatmeal Bars Recipe
These oatmeal bars have just 4 ingredients plus salt . This makes them easy to whip up on moments noticeand we do. Heres what youll need to make them:
- Old Fashioned rolled oats: Thats the standard oatmeal youre used to, not steel cut oats! Because it has the texture of rice, its not a substitute here.
- Peanut butter: Use creamy, no sugar added peanut butter. If all you have is sweetened, leave out a bit of the honey. Use sunflower butter as a nut allergy substitute.
- Honey: Honey adds a warm, golden flavor and a nice sticky texture. See our notes on vegan substitutes below.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon adds just the right hint of complexity.
Of course, youll need a little salt to round it out for the perfect flavor. Make sure to use kosher salt, since it flavors foods more gently than table salt.
Read Also: Jack In The Box Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
Easy Breakfast Bars To Energize Your Morning
Homemade breakfast bars are a hit any time of day. These delicious recipes are ideal for breakfast on the go or even as a sweet mid-morning treat.
Start your day off right with juicy strawberries, tangy cranberries, or creamy peanut butter. No matter which flavor you pick, I know youll love how family-friendly these recipes are.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Plus, theyre so easy to whip up you could even make a tray first thing for a warm and filling meal.
Loaded with oats, grains, nuts, and fruits, these simple, energy-packed, kid-friendly breakfast bars are sure to fill you up.
Tips For Making The Best Breakfast Bars
- If you want them a little softer, serve them at room temperature rather than chilled.
- Use natural or honey sweetened jam or preserves for mellow sweetness. You can also use Blueberry Chia Jam if you prefer.
- Line the pan with parchment paper so the bars are easy to lift out of the pan and slice.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze them for future eating. They freeze really well!
- To make these nut-free, use Sunbutter.
- To make without a food processor, use instant oats instead of rolled oats and stir the batter together in a bowl. You may need to really press it to get it evenly mixed.
- If the mixture seems crumbly and isnt holding together well, add a tablespoon or two of water and that should take care of it!
Read Also: Bed And Breakfast Maine Coast
Tips And Tricks For Perfect Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Ensure you use rolled/old fashioned oats, and not quick oats. This will ensure the bars hold up better and provide a chewy and thick texture.
Subbing out the banana isnt recommended, as it provides a thicker texture and natural sweetness. If you must sub it out, use mashed pumpkin or mashed sweet potato. Also be sure to add some liquid stevia to it, for sweetness.
These breakfast bars are not overly sweet and rely on the banana for a sweet flavor. For those with a sweet tooth, add several drops of liquid stevia to the batter.
Recipe Notes Tips And Substitutions
- To be sure you have gluten-free oatmeal bars, make sure you buy gluten-free oats.
- For extra moisture, add applesauce to the oat bars.
- Instead of peanut butter, use cashew or almond butter. You can even try sunflower butter if there is a nut allergy.
- Use vanilla protein powder instead of chocolate powder for fewer chocolate flavors.
- Instead of dark chocolate chips, switch things up with white chocolate, peanut butter, or butterscotch chips.
- In place of the peanuts, roasted almonds or cashews can be used.
- For extra nutty flavors, sprinkle some unsweetened shredded coconut in the oat mixture and on top before baking.
- If you do not want to mix the ingredients by hand, then you can mix things in a food processor.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for four days. The bars will last longer stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Freeze the bars by cutting them into squares and freezing them in a freezer-safe bag for three months.
- Add rich aromatic spices to these soft baked bars such as cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, dates, etc. will work great for this recipe!
Also Check: Bed And Breakfast St Michaels Md
Whats The Best Way To Store These Bars
I tend to like these bars chilled so I recommend storing them in the fridge for 3-5 days, though theres no reason that room temperature in an airtight container wouldnt work just as well. You can also freeze them, once fully cooled, in a zip top freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Let thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature before eating.
Are Oatmeal Bars Good For You
Oatmeal bars can be a great healthier option, especially when theyre homemade since you can control the ingredients going into them.
- The base of these bars is made up of quick oats and oat flour which is incredibly nutrient-dense, offering soluble fibre, and vitamins and minerals, such as iron, calcium, and magnesium.
- Bananas are rich in B6 and folate. The B vitamins play an important role in energy metabolism and are involved in many enzyme processes. Bananas can also improve gut health since they are a source of prebiotic fibre, which essentially feeds probiotics, the healthy bacteria found in our gut. Additionally, the fibre found in bananas can help keep you regular and prevent constipation.
- Dark chocolate offers compounds known as flavonoids. Flavonoids are antioxidants that help repair damaged cells in the body, which may reduce the risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases.
- Each bar is a source of fibre which can help manage blood sugar levels and keep you feeling full for longer and energized throughout the day!
- These oatmeal bars contain no refined sugar since theyre sweetened naturally with bananas and maple syrup. But dont worry, theyre plenty sweet.
- Additionally, these bars are naturally gluten and dairy-free, so perfect for those with intolerances.
You May Like: What Are Mcdonalds Breakfast Hours
Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are naturally sweetened and gluten free. Enjoy as a healthy snack or easy, on-the-go breakfast!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Were in serious mode over here. I was waiting to pick Lincoln up outside his classroom the other day and a fellow Mom who is new to the state asked me, is it always like this here?? I could see the terror in her eyes. That said, soggy, grey, and blustery has been the weather du jour for the better part of the month and were all not so patiently waiting for the summer sun to start shining on the reg.
Until that day comes, the babies and I have been keeping busy with indoor projects like building pillow towers, digging our fingers into squishy kinetic sand plus lots of baking, including these Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars. If you like my Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars, youll want to make this ultra cozy version pronto we polished off an entire pan in less than 24 hours!