Healthy Muffin Recipes For Breakfast
Muffins are a save-the-day kind of breakfast for extremely busy mornings and these Healthy Muffin Recipes will help you and your kids start the day out right.
Healthy muffins provide fuel for the rest of the day so that you and your kids will have enough energy to get through work and school feeling your best.
Each of these healthy recipes has been chosen because theyre filled highly nutritious, lower in sugar, and kid-approved.
Muffins are often a kid-favorite because theyre easy to grab and go, but store bought muffins tend to leave a lot to be desired. A lot of muffins are more like cupcakes with refined flour and sugar instead of quality ingredients you can feel good about eating.
How To Store Muffins
Let your muffins cool completely. Then, transfer them into an airtight container. Store them in a cool, dark place such as your counter for around 3 days.
For best results, store these muffins in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Since they have pureed fruit in them and are made with real ingredients, they are more apt to mold quicker on the counter.
I Only Have Regular Rolled Oats And Not Quick
You can make your own quick oats my pulsing the regular rolled oats in your blender or food processor to break them down. To do this, add 1 1/4 cup of rolled oats to the food processor or blender and then pulse a few times until the oats are chopped but some larger pieces remain. Stop before your oats become a fine powder. Once the oats are chopped, measure the amount needed into the morning glory muffin batter.
Also Check: Quick And Easy Breakfast Recipes
Healthy Egg Muffins For Work Or School
These healthy breakfast egg muffins are the perfect on-the-go breakfast. I love that I can make a batch of 12 healthy egg muffins for just 30 minutes and I have enough muffins to grab one in the mornings during the week and eat it on the way to work. You can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week and then just reheat them.
Thats the best kind of breakfast! Or snack. And its also perfect for school lunches. This egg muffin recipe is naturally gluten-free, Paleo, Whole30, and low-carb.
These egg muffin cups are super easy to make. It took me about 10 minutes to prep and chop the veggies, then I tossed everything and transferred it to the muffin cups, poured the egg mixture, and topped it with cheese. I love that this recipe is very customizable and you can use almost any veggies you have in your fridge. You can also add some cooked bacon, ham, or leftover chicken. You are only limited by your imagination!
Frittata In A Muffin Tin
You can either spray a 12-capacity NON-STICK muffin tray with a light coating of non-stick oil spray, or line each cup with paper liners. Personally I prefer spraying them because Im, not a huge fan to paper sticking to my frittatas. If youre going to line them, be sure to get good quality non-stick liners .
We love serving our egg muffins with diced avocado and chopped tomatoes on the side for added nutrition and good fats.
Even though they dont have any flour or baking powder and are completely gluten free, they are so fluffy when you bite into them!
Read Also: An English Garden Bed And Breakfast
Are Muffins Healthy For Breakfast
The beloved muffin, an easy-to-eat sweet breakfast that can be grabbed on-the-go. But are these baked goods actually a good choice?
Most store-bought muffins are like glorified cupcakesthey’re full of sugar and simple carbs. “They can be packed with added sugar and low in fiber, sending your blood sugar levels on a roller coaster before you even get to work,” says Charlotte Martin, MS, RDN, CSOWM, CPT.
Yet, muffins can be a healthy breakfast option if you make them at home yourself. “Look for recipes with protein-rich ingredients, like whole eggs or egg whites, Greek yogurt, oats, almond flour, or protein powder, and fiber-rich ingredients, like oats, flaxseed, coconut flour, and whole-wheat flour,” says Martin.
You can also lower sugar content by replacing some or all the added sugar with natural applesauce or mashed banana, which will also add fiber. Plus, you can even enhance flavor without sugar by adding spices, like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, and extracts, such as vanilla extract.
“Although I don’t often have muffins for breakfast, if I do, they’re usually homemade using the guidelines I just mentioned. Occasionally I indulge in a store-bought muffin because I believe any food can fit into a healthy and balanced lifestyle,” Martin says.
How To Make Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a muffin tin with silicone muffin molds or paper liners. If you are not using any muffin molds, make sure you spray the muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Saute peppers, shredded carrots and onion in a skillet over medium heat until tender.
- In a large mixing bowl crack the eggs and lightly beat with a whisk. . Add the salt and pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine.
- Add sauteed vegetables to the whisked eggs, and toss to combine. If you want you can also add some crumbled-cooked bacon.
- Fill each muffin mold with the vegetable egg mixture so that each is filled to about 3/4 full. Be careful not to overfill each muffin cup. You can add extra cheese and top each cup with about 1 Tbsp shredded cheese each.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until muffins are set, cooked through, and are lightly golden. They will puff in the oven but sink upon cooling. Allow muffins to cool in a pan on top of a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing.
Also Check: Mcdonald’s 2 For 4 Breakfast
How Long Do You Keep Egg Muffins
These easy breakfast egg muffins will keep one week in the refrigerator. Just reheat them in your mini convection oven or the microwave for 30 seconds. You can also freeze the cooked breakfast muffins in the freezer wrapped in aluminum foil and bagged in a freezer-safe ziplock bag.
Eggs are excellent for breakfast but not many people can afford the time to cook them in the morning before they rush out the door for work. Thats why I love to cook these healthy baked egg muffins on Sunday and have enough for breakfast for the whole week. These are also great if you are trying to eat healthily, and want to avoid the drive-through in the morning. Such a delicious quick healthy breakfast!
TIPS FROM NELIS KITCHEN
Broccoli Cheese Egg Muffins
Like the above frittata muffins, these broccoli cheese egg muffins are easy to prepare, low-carb, high-protein, and packed with veggies. Best of all, they make for an excellent addition to Easter, Mothers Day, and Christmas morning breakfast/brunch tables. Once again, theyre also wonderfully versatile, combining the vegetables, cheese, and protein of your choice!
Don’t Miss: What Time Does Sonic Breakfast End
How To Store And Reheat Leftovers
To store: Individual egg muffins keep best when tightly covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated, but you can store them in an airtight bag or container too.
How long: Enjoy these baked eggs within 4 days.
How to reheat:
- Microwave: Warm up individual egg muffins in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds.
- Oven: Reheat baked egg cups in the oven or toaster oven at 350°F for about 8-10 minutes, or until warm.
- Air Fryer:You can also reheat them in the Air Fryer or oven at 375°F for 3- 5 minutes or until warm.
Are Muffins Healthy
Muffins are not usually considered to be healthy, but they can be healthy. It totally depends on the ingredients. As a general rule, homemade muffin are healthier than their store bought counterpart because they dont contain the added ingredients and preservatives that are found in store bought muffins.
What makes these muffins healthy is that theyre nutrient dense. They are made with applesauce in place of oil or an extra egg, whole wheat flour in place of white flour, and whole grain rolled oats that contribute added fiber and protein.
Read Also: Bed And Breakfast In Illinois
Can I Freeze These
100 percent! Freeze breakfast egg muffins in a large freezer bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Individually-stored egg muffins should be wrapped in a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Thaw them overnight in the fridge before warming them up or add a little extra reheating time and enjoy!
Healthy Substitutions For Muffins
Here are a few ingredient substitutions you can put to the test to make your next batch of muffins delicious as ever and better for you!
Instead of Regular Flour:
You can use other flour alternatives for baking, but Ive found that these 3 flours yield the best results through trial and error.
Instead of Refined Sugar
I have an entire post on exchanging white sugar for a healthier alternative in recipes, but these 3 are the most popular go-tos for most people.
Now that you have breakfast covered, let me help with lunch and dinner. Id love to send you a sample of my lunch & dinner meal plans filled with healthy recipes, your shopping list, and even a meal prep guide which will save you hours in the kitchen.
Get a Free Meal Plan Sample here. By the way, theres no credit card required, this no-risk trial is my gift to you.
Read Also: Is Mcdonald’s Serving Breakfast All Day
How To Make Healthy Applesauce Muffins:
- Stir together oats, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, butter and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cranberries or raisins.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, stir just until combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Recipe Adaptations + Dietary Swaps
- Cheesy Egg Muffins. Making these muffins for veggie skeptics but still want a serving of healthy protein? Skip the veggies altogether, and simply use your favorite mix of cheeses.
- Spicy Egg Muffins. If you like your eggs on the spicy side, you can also add a few dashes of hot sauce or pinch of cayenne.
- Zippy Egg Muffins. Try adding a few teaspoons of Dijon mustard.
- Egg Muffins with Meat. Tasty but optional. I found them plenty satisfying with veggies alone, but if youd like to add meat, feel free to make these breakfast egg muffins with bacon or fold in diced cooked ham or cooked, crumbled sausage.
- To Make Keto. No changes needed. These are keto egg muffins as written.
- To Make Dairy-Free, Whole30, and Paleo. Omit the cheese.
Don’t Miss: Napa Bed And Breakfast Inn
Can I Replace The Flour In This Muffin Recipe With Almond Meal Or Coconut Flour
I havent tried these morning glory muffins with almond flour, almond meal, or coconut flour, I cant speak to how success these morning glory muffins will turn out when swapping the flours. In my experience, almond flour can often be used in place of whole wheat flour, however it creates for a much denser baked good. Coconut flour is a much thirstier flour and absorbs a lot more liquid than almond flour or wheat flour. I do not suggest using coconut flour in this recipe.
What Is An Egg Muffin
Egg muffins are like mini egg frittatas, or muffins made out of eggs!
They bake up nice and fluffy with chunks of yumminess inside just like the muffins you know and love, but savory. One of my favorite things about these egg muffins is how easy they are to bring on the go. Youve got cute individual servings of a balanced, protein-packed breakfast as soon as theyre done cooking!
You May Like: What Are Mcdonalds Breakfast Hours
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Make sure you chop the vegetables in small and evenly sized pieces. Otherwise, the muffins might fall apart when you eat them.
- Dont over whisk the eggs for too long if you want light and fluffy egg muffins.
- Fill the muffin cups only 3/4 otherwise, they can overflow while baking.
- Let the cooked breakfast muffins cool for 5 minutes before you remove them from the muffin pan and serve them.
How To Make Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
These muffins come together incredible easy, you need one bowl and your muffin tin. I mean you cant beat that. Combine all your dry ingredients, old fashion oats, oat flour, flax meal, chai seeds, baking powder, cinnamon salt. Once you have all the dry ingredients in a bowl be sure and mix with a fork or whisk to evenly distribute and break up any lumps. Next fold in the applesauce, dairy free milk, maple syrup, egg and vanilla extract. This should all come together relatively easily and be ready to drop into muffin tins! The best thing about this recipe is the versatility.
Recommended Reading: Bed And Breakfast Conway Nh
Warm And Cozy Muffins
These healthy muffin recipes are my go-tos throughout the fall and winter. I love to make them on chilly mornings, when nothing sounds better than warming up with a freshly baked muffin and a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins, page 57 of Love & Lemons Every DayI make these muffins with a mix of oat flour, almond flour, and arrowroot starch, which makes them super soft and tenderand totally gluten-free!
Bright And Zesty Healthy Muffin Recipes
Break out the lemons and limes! These healthy muffin recipes are bright and fresh.
Vegan Lemon MuffinsWe all love lemon poppyseed muffins, but Id like to make the case for these lemon chia seed muffins, too. Theyre bright and flavorful, thanks to Meyer lemon juice and zest, and the chia seeds add a delicious, delicate crunch. Serve them with a cold glass of almond milk for crave-worthy breakfast or snack!
These vegan muffins are bursting with the flavors of mango, coconut, and lime. We love to make them for a fun, fresh breakfast treat.
Also Check: Bed And Breakfast Inns In Savannah Ga
Healthy Recipes For Picky Kids
- Peanut Butter and Banana Cookies require only 3 ingredients and are done in 15 minutes! They are the perfect healthy treat for kids and adults.
- Transform rice cakes into colorful, flavorful snacks by topping them with delicious ingredients! Rice Cake topping combinations include turkey and tomato, pears with honey, cream cheese and cucumbers or a fried egg with avocado slices and sriracha!
- These No Bake Granola Bars are the perfect snack for little ones. Filled with dried fruit and chocolate, peanut butter and honey, you will satisfy your sweet tooth with a snack you can feel good about eating.
- This peanut butter cookies recipe without brown sugar is also gluten free and requires only 3 ingredients! Super delicious, easy recipe requiring just a little bit of effort!
- Put your zucchini to good use with a healthy version of the tasty zucchini french fry! No shortness of tastiness! A perfect aioli sauce goes alongside for the ultimate condiment.
Will you help add value to Pip and Ebby?If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment. THANK YOU!
Why Are They Spongy
If made as directed, your muffin cups shouldnt be spongy. If they are, you likely used all egg whites instead of equal parts whole eggs and egg whites. The lack of fat when using all egg whites may result in a spongy texture.
They may also be spongy from excess liquid from the vegetables. Be sure to drain any leftover liquid from the sautéed veggies.
Read Also: Healthiest Breakfast At Mcdonald’s
Can You Make Keto & Low
Yes, the egg muffins can be made in keto and low-carb form because all you have to do is change the ingredients.
When it comes down to the keto egg muffins, you need to ensure that there are no starchy vegetables, such as peas, corn, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
In addition, you should always choose non-processed meats if you want keto muffins.
Very Berry Healthy Muffin Recipes
Swap in frozen berries when fresh ones are out of season.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, page 269 of The Love & Lemons CookbookTo make these ultra-chocolatey muffins, youll mix cocoa powder into the batter and fold in chocolate chips. So what makes them healthy ? Whole wheat flour, pure maple syrup, and, of course, zucchini!
Recommended Reading: Harney And Sons English Breakfast Tea
How To Freeze Breakfast Egg Muffins
Let the egg muffins cool completely, then wrap individually in plastic wrap and pop them in a freezer-safe zip-lock bag. They will last for up to 2 months.
To reheat, unwrap from the plastic wrap and fold them in a damp paper towel. Heat in the microwave in 20 second increments until warmed through.
Breakfast ready in no time!
More Easy Breakfast Recipes:
Having a few meal prep recipes on your arsenal make feeding a family so much easier! Here are some more of our easy meal prep favorites!
1%Protein10%Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on
Free Low Carb / Keto Recipes E-Book!
Sign up now to get a FREE low carb / Keto-friendly recipe e-book, plus access to subscriber exclusives!
Thank you! Check your email for a confirmation link. Add email@example.com to your email contacts so that you don’t miss it. Once you confirm, you’ll receive a link to download the printable!
Posted July 8, 2021
You May Like: Sedona Az Bed And Breakfast