Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole With Sausage Recipe
Warm up your weekend mornings with this easy tater tot breakfast casserole with sausage. Heres how to make it!
All images courtesy of Two Kids and a Coupon
Does this cold weather have you craving comfort food?
Whether youre looking for a hot and filling breakfast for a cold day, a hearty weekend breakfast recipe or a delicious option to take a a weekend brunch, this easy breakfast casserole is a tasty option that all ages can enjoy.
Its also perfect for breakfast for dinner on busy weeknights.
What To Serve With Breakfast Casserole Recipe
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a meal-in-one all it needs is fruit! Just add some orange slices or cantaloupe and call it a day or pair it with any of the following for a more elaborate feast:
- Pancakes & crepes: Nutella pumpkin crepes, carrot cake crepes, sweet potato pancakes, mini German apple pancakes.
What To Serve With Breakfast Casserole:
This Belgian waffle recipe is literally the best and my kids love them!
And, of course, I wrote an entire book of pancake recipes that are perfect for breakfast! Check out my book, Stack Happy!
Don’t Miss: How To Make Eggs For Breakfast
Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on , , and for all of the latest updates.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole With Bacon
One bite and youll be asking where this comfy, cozy, super satisfying Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole has been all of your life. It is one of those ideas that sounds so obvious after the fact – why havent we all been tossing frozen tater tots into a casserole dish with eggs, bacon, shredded cheese and chives?
Our family loves spicy, so sometimes well do a Southwestern version by adding some canned green chilies and sautéed bell peppers into the mix. Other times, well switch up the bacon with breakfast sausage, or change up the shredded cheese. However you decide to make it, you can be sure that your whole family will absolutely love it.
This recipe is also a great make-ahead recipe so its perfect for feeding a crowd of both kids and adults. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream and a splash of your favorite salsa and youll be good to go!
Recommended Reading: Bed And Breakfast Olympic Peninsula
Variations Of This Breakfast Casserole
- Vegetarian – remove the bacon and youve got yourself a vegetarian breakfast casserole.
- Substitute a different breakfast meat – diced ham or even breakfast sausage would taste great in this casserole. You could also try a meat lovers version and use all three!
- Sautéed veggies – add sautéed red peppers, onions or mushrooms. You can sprinkle the veggies over the tater tots just before you pour over the egg mixture.
- Spicy – add a pinch or two of cayenne powder and a dash of your favorite hot sauce if you want to make things a little spicy.
- Tater Tot Casserole Muffins – bake individual portions into muffin tins! Just keep an eye on the cooking time which will vary quite a bit, depending on the size of tins that you use.
Can I Make This Breakfast Casserole Ahead of Time?
You sure can. Just prep completely, then wrap well and store in the fridge overnight. The next morning, pull your baking dish from the fridge and preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes . Bake as directed and voila – breakfast is served!
Can I Freeze Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
Yes! Simply prep and bake as directed, cool completely, then wrap with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. In order to reheat, its easiest to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then pull out to room temperature the next morning while you preheat your oven. Reheat in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until warmed through.
To Freeze Breakfast Casserole Before Baking:
- Assemble the breakfast casserole according to recipe instructions but DONT add the tater tops on top. Keep this half of the tater tots frozen until ready to use, otherwise they will thaw with the casserole and wont bake up crispy.
- Cover the casserole with two layers of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil.
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
- Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Add the remaining half of frozen tater tots and bake according to recipe directions, adding an additional 10-15 minutes as needed.
Don’t Miss: Quick Breakfast Ideas On The Go
How To Make Tater Tot Casserole:
Prep: Youll need a pound of breakfast sausage and 6 strips of bacon all cooked up and ready to go for this tater tot casserole recipe. We like to chop the bacon before frying, but you can also fry it up and then crumble it.
Eggs: Whisk together eggs, milk green chiles, salt, and pepper.
Layer: Place the sausage and bacon in a greased 9×13 baking dish and then top it off with some grated cheddar. Pour the egg mixture over the top.
Tots: Now all thats left to do before baking is to arrange the frozen tater tots in an even layer over the top of the cheesy breakfast casserole. Simple!
Bake: This breakfast tater tot casserole bakes in about 45 minutes. We like to top it off with some chives and serve it while its good and hot!
Why To Make Breakfast Casseroleits Delicious Thats Why
Make your party feeds a crowd with this quick and easy recipe! Add in more ingredients or change up the quantities for a bigger crowd.
Variations You can change this recipe to your liking by swapping in other kinds of pasta, adding other veggies like fresh bell peppers and onions, or even serving it with slices of bacon or sausage.
Make Ahead You can pre-assemble this tater tot casserole by making, placing foil on top, and pulling out the next morning for cooking.
Also Check: Bayfront Westcott House Bed And Breakfast
Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
You can prep this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole in steps if you prefer. This is helpful if you want to prep more than 24 hours in advance:
- Sausage: brown the sausage, bell peppers and onions, cool, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
- Cheese: shred and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Egg mixture: whisk the egg mixture together, cover, and store in an airtight container for up to 48 hours. Give the mixture a whisk before using.
Now all thats left to do is mix the sausage mixture with the tater tots/cheese and then stir in the egg mixture. Easy peasy!
Can You Freeze This Tater Tot Casserole
Technically, you can freeze the unbaked casserole after assembly by covering it airtight and freezing until ready to bake. Then, youd bake it from frozen and add bake time until fully cooked through. That said, I do believe the texture may come out differently from the original recipe. My suggestion would be to pre-assemble the casserole the night before and keep covered/chilled in fridge. Then bake according to recipe instructions.
Read Also: Bed And Breakfast Denver Co
How To Make Breakfast Casserole With Tater Tots
Tater tot breakfast casserole is fun to prepare and will be ready to bake in the morning!
Can You Make This Breakfast Casserole In Advance
The best part, as always in my book, is the ease of this dish. With just a handful of simple ingredients its perfect for weekends, holidays, and even breakfast-for-dinner.
If youre not a morning person, I hear you with big elephant ears. No need to wake up early to measure a single thing.
This tater tot casserole can easily be assembled the night before and popped into the oven the next morning for a hearty meal everyone loves waking up to.
You May Like: Breakfast Casserole With Eggs And Sausage
What Kind Of Cheese Should You Use
I think cheddar cheese works great with the tater tots. It also melts nicely and works in the sauce. You can use a variety of cheeses, or toss in whatever you have on hand though. Soft cheese like goat cheese or cream cheese works just as well as any grated hard cheese. Feel free to experiment a bit!
The cheese not only helps create the flavorful casserole sauce but can also be used to grate over the top of the casserole too. For that reason, you may also want to use a cheese that is easily grated such as cheddar, mozzarella, or even swiss.
How about some Blueberry Muffins to go with this?
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
I love this easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe! It takes minutes to prepare and tastes so good.
We are all in for brunch most weekends! Being able to sleep in for an extra hour or two and then whipping up this easy tater tot casserole is the best way to start the day.
This is a great casserole for potlucks, family brunch, or leftovers.
We make this with leftover holiday ham but it can easily be changed up to be made with breakfast sausage.
- Salt and black pepper
Optional – Salsa, fresh chives, red bell pepper, sour cream, onion, diced tomatoes, hot sauce, fresh spinach, pork sausage, and/or turkey sausage.
Cheese – We used cheddar cheese but you can switch it out with pepper jack cheese or sharp cheddar cheese for more flavor. Go wild and try some Colby Jack Cheese.
Tater tots – we use frozen tater tots straight from the freezer for this recipe.
Large Skillet – to cook the bacon.
Large Mixing Bowl – We are big fans of this glass batter bowl that has a handle. It makes it easy to mix ingredients and keeps the mixing bowl steady on the counter.
9×13 casserole baking dish This casserole fills a 9×13 casserole dish.
Heat resistant potholders – A couple of years ago we had a fire scare when we didn’t realize we had turned a burner on and a cloth potholder caught fire. Thankfully we walked by the kitchen and saw the smoke and were able to get it out ourselves. Since then we have only used these heat-resistant potholders.
Recommended Reading: Bed And Breakfast French Lick Indiana
How To Make This Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole:
For me, the best part of this tater tot breakfast casserole are the tater tots, so I like to put them front and center!
There are some who would mix the tater tots right into the casserole, but in my opinion you dont really get the same crunch and satisfaction if you do that I love to put them up top so they bake up golden in the oven!
Layer your meat, veggies and cheese in the bottom of a greased baking dish, then pour over your egg mixture. Top with your tater tots and bake until everything is set!
Ingredients In Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
This is an easy Tater tot breakfast casserole recipe and great for mixing up the ingredients. Use up leftover meat and veggies and make it a new recipe every time.
POTATOES: Of course, tater tots are the base for this casserole. No tater tots? No problem! Layer some frozen or homemade hash browns instead. Sweet Potato Hashbrowns or some Homemade Shredded Hashbrowns would work too!
VEGETABLES: Onions and green & red bell pepper are flavorful and colorful! Swap out the onion for onion powder if thats all you have on hand.
CHEESE: Mexican blend, sharp cheddar cheese, or pepper jack cheese all work well in this recipe.
What Goes Well With Breakfast Casserole
This dish is delightful with all kinds of yummy condiments and sides! Serve with sour cream, hot sauce, ketchup, salsa, or any of your favorite sauces.
Veggies, meat, and cheese: As-is this recipe makes a full meal in one pan! But it also is great to enjoy for breakfast or brunch with classic side dishes like the Creamiest Cheese Grits, Red White and Blue Chopped Fruit Salad, or simple seasonal fruit or slices of avocado.
How To Serve Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
With eggs, two types of cheese, bacon, and potatoes, this casserole recipe does just fine when served on its own. However, if you’d like to add a side salad or veggie-forward side to round out your breakfast or weekend brunch, here are a few recipes we recommend trying:
Also Check: Old Northside Bed And Breakfast
Is This Recipe Gluten Free
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole can be gluten free if you double check the ingredient labels. Some ingredients you think are gluten free may not be.
The sausage doesnt contain any gluten but not all manufacturers meet USDA standards for gluten-free because they are cross contaminated by either using shared equipment or by being made in the same facility as gluten grains. Some sausages even contain rusk made from wheat. Jimmy Dean Sausage is an example of sausage that is not gluten free. You can check out this Gluten Free Sausage Brand list or double check the packaging to ensure your sausage is certified gluten free.
The tater tots are another ingredient to look out for. You would think they would all be gluten free, but some actually contain gluten! Look for certified gluten free tater tots which should be easy to find and clearly labeled.
Make Ahead And Freeze
Don’t Miss: Does Dunkin Sell Breakfast All Day
Blueberry French Toast Casserole
This tasty Blueberry French Toast Casserole is a unique breakfast and brunch dish that is a cross between French toast and blueberry cheesecake.
It is a perfect fit for dessert or breakfast. Since it is on the indulgent side, you can try to reserve it for special occasions, such as birthday parties.
If you are looking for a perfect breakfast dish that your family and friends will enjoy, you can try this Blueberry French Toast Casserole recipe.
It is creamy, chewy, and crunchy. Every single bite is bursting with cream cheese and blueberry goodness.
Not only does it taste good, but you will also fall in love with its smell. In addition, this simple recipe is easy to make.
Whether you prepare it early in the day or the night before, it will taste fantastic. The main ingredients for this recipe are bread, milk, eggs, cream cheese, and blueberries.
Are you a big fan of meat and cheese? If yes, then you should try this Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole recipe at home.
Whether you are looking for something tasty or an easy-to-prepare recipe, this simple recipe has you covered.
The preparation time for this recipe is minimal, while the actual baking will take you less than an hour.
Another thing you will like about this recipe is that it does not call for many ingredients. The ingredients you will need can be easily found in your nearest grocery store.
You can serve this breakfast casserole on its own, and it will still be delicious and filling, depending on your appetite.
More Tasty Breakfast Casseroles
- Sausage Egg & Cheese Casserole – This delicious casserole is perfect for meal prepping or making for holiday brunches!
- Sausage-Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole – Savory sausage, hash browns, cheese, and eggs are mixed together to make this fabulous dish!
- Hashbrown Sausage Bacon Egg Casserole – This cheesy breakfast recipe is wonderful for serving a large crowd on Christmas morning!
- Panettone Cherry French Toast Casserole – Sweet and delicious panettone bread is topped with cherry pie filling, chocolate chips, and oatmeal streusel!
- Apple Pie French Toast Casserole – This recipe combines apple pie and french toast for a perfectly sweet breakfast dish!
- Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding – If you make cinnamon rolls and have leftovers, try my tasty cinnamon roll bread pudding!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. Stay in touch with me through social media @ , , , or ! Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Recommended Reading: Best Foods To Eat For Breakfast
Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
Youll need just a short, simple list of ingredients to make this cheesy tater tot casserole:
- Tater Tots frozen tater tots. Were partial to the Ore-Ida brand, but any are fine.
- Breakfast sausage or you can use mild Italian or hot sausage, if you prefer.
- Vegetables onion, red bell pepper, and garlic.
- Eggs youll need 8 large eggs, which makes this tater tot casserole thick and filling.
- Milk whole milk is my preference for taste and creaminess. 2% is fine, but I wouldnt go below that. If you want it even richer, use half-n-half.
- Cheese we love shredded Colby jack cheese. Cheddar cheese or pepper jack would also work really well.
- Seasonings simple seasonings like salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dry ground mustard add to the delicious flavor. The mustard is very subtle, but you can omit it, if preferred.