The Best Breakfast Egg Bake
Ingredients like frozen hash browns, canned crescent rolls and bulk breakfast sausage make this easy egg bake a classic morning meal. Layering rich sour cream, heavy cream and two types of cheese with bright bell pepper and scallion makes this The Best Breakfast Egg Bake. Slow-baking it keeps it soft and creamy with a browned crescent bottom. Its the perfect dish for a holiday or a plain old Sunday morning.
Healthier Carrot Cake Muffins
You know youâve called carrot cake a âhealth foodâ before , but itâs not even a stretch with these muffins. Thereâs loads of shredded veg and heart-healthy walnuts, plus an applesauce/Greek yogurt combo that reduces the amount of oil you need. Pair with some fresh fruit for a fiber boost.
Per serving: 216 cal, 12 g fat, 24 g carbs, 4 g protein, 1 g fiber
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
If you’re a chocoholic, you’ll love this smoothie. It has all of the smooth and delicious flavors of a chocolate peanut butter cup, without all of the fat and sugar. Blend together chocolate protein powder, a cup of almond milk, a tablespoon of peanut butter, a frozen banana, a small handful of walnuts, and a dash of cinnamon.
Also Check: Bed And Breakfast Manteo Nc
Why Eat High Protein
Strong research evidence shows that eating more protein can help you lose weight, reduce your hunger, and keep your muscles strong without slowing your metabolism. 3
Eating high protein at your first meal sets you up to experience less hunger for the rest of the day. Studies of 116 diets in humans show that people on average may eat almost three times more calories on a low protein diet than on a very high protein diet. 4 Called protein leverage, this means when the body gets enough protein, its appetite for high-energy food is naturally reduced. So by consuming plenty of protein at the start of your day, in most cases, you will naturally consume less energy for the remainder of the day.5
Some research suggests that diets with increased protein can prevent or help treat type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome, and possibly even reduce the risk of heart disease.6 In a recent trial, 100% of people with prediabetes who ate a high protein, moderate carb diet for six months achieved normal blood sugar levels.7
Higher protein intake also helps prevent a condition called sarcopenia, which is a loss of muscle mass that can occur as you age. Plus, it can help keep your bones strong, reducing the risk of osteoporosis, which is the loss of bone mass.8
Diet Doctor has lots of information and recipes to help you eat a high protein diet. Check out our other high protein guides:
How To Pull Off A Complete Breakfast Fast
Our favorite breakfast-in-a-hurry recipes are combos of the delicious foods above that don’t require fancy prep. Here are some GH Nutrition Lab go-tos:
- Avocado toast on 1 to 2 slices sprouted grain bread with fresh arugula, two eggs and everything bagel seasoning
- 1 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt with 1/3 cup low-sugar granola and 1/2 cup fresh berries
- 3-egg white omelet with chopped veggies, 2 Tbsp. lite Mexican-Style cheese blend, 1/4 cup salsa and 1/2 sliced avocado
- Chilled overnight chia pudding
- 1 lite whole wheat english muffin with 2 Tbsp. almond butter and 1/2 cup mashed raspberries
- 1/2 to 1 cup cooked oatmeal with 1/2 cup milk of choice, plus 2 to 3 Tbsp. mixed nuts and 1 cup chopped fruit
- 2 frozen 100% whole-grain waffles with 2 tablespoons peanut butter and 1 sliced banana
- 12 to 1 roasted sweet potato with 12 tablespoon nut butter, plus sliced apple, pear or banana
No matter what your peference, incorporate as many of the following ingredients into your breakfasts as possible:
Bananas help you fill up and come in their own portable packaging. Their folate and vitamin B6 aids in the production of serotonin, which can help improve mood and reduce anxiety. The soluble fiber also helps lower cholesterol by removing it from your GI tract and preventing it from moving into your bloodstream . For an extra heart-healthy kick, slice bananas on top of morning oats with a tablespoon of chia seeds or walnuts.
You May Like: Westbrook Inn Bed And Breakfast
When Should You Eat Before A Workout
Now that you know what to eat and what not to eat before you exercise, lets talk about when to eat. The guidance on how long to wait after eating before you work out ranges widely, from 30 minutes to three hours, writes Jones. If youre working out early in the morning, you probably dont have three hours to kill. Generally speaking, eating a complete meal about 90 minutes before a workout should give you enough time to digest, Jennifer ODonnell-Giles, M.S., RDN, certified specialist in sports dietetics, founder of Eat4Sport, and adjunct professor of sports nutrition at Columbia University, tells SELF.
But if youre in a time crunch and only have about 30 minutes between getting something in your stomach and getting in the gym, a good rule of thumb is to opt for a smaller portion than usual, ODonnell-Giles explains. Half an hour before a workout is also a good time to have a cup of coffee, if thats part of your pre-workout routine .
Savory Oatmeal With Fried Egg
Isnât oatmeal supposed to be sweet? Not always. Youâll be singing the praises of savory oatmeal after one cheesy bite of this recipe, which combines heart-healthy steel-cut oats with diced red peppers and a runny-yolk fried egg. Try it and thank me later.
Per serving: 262 cal, 16 g fat, 18 g carbs, 13 g protein, 3 g fiber
Recommended Reading: Napa Bed And Breakfast Inn
Healthy Eating Breakfast Tips
Keep these in mind when deciding what to eat in the a.m.:
- Mastering the morning. If you cant handle a big breakfast first thing, have it in stages, with liquids first . Then eat your first solid food slowly to help with digestion, eating until you feel comfortably sated.
- Go for five. Whether youre experiencing morning sickness, have busy days or are just fighting fatigue, eating three full meals plus two small nutrient-packed snacks is the way to get through the day feeling as good as possible.
- Know and go with your body. If you cant stomach breakfast, eat foods when youre ready that youre craving . Its more important to get some nourishment than none.
- Fat is good. A certain amount of healthy fat is important for both you and your baby, enabling vitamin absorption and essential fatty acids to be delivered to your little one. Add them to your breakfast foods, by topping toast with avocado, stirring nuts into oatmeal or sautéeing eggs in olive oil.
- A banana a day will keep the doctor away. Bananas are a total superfruit: prebiotic, filled with potassium, fiber, protein and vitamin C and easy to pack for a snack on-the-go. Throw them in smoothies, cereals, yogurt, in a peanut butter sandwich or in a fruit salad.
Quick & Easy Breakfast Ideas
Save your ambitious breakfast biscuits and huevos rancheros for the weekend, they have no place on hectic weekday mornings. When time is of the essence, breakfast should be something you can throw together on the fly . These recipes are quick, easy, and low maintenance, so skip the boring bowl of Cheerios, and opt for one of these breakfasts instead.
Also Check: Healthy Recipes For Weight Loss Breakfast
Start The Day With A Powerful And Healthy Breakfast
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but its easy to get stuck in a breakfast rut. Sometimes you just need a few ideas to get the wheels turning.
Here are more than 33 tasty and filling breakfast recipes for you to browse.
We are sharing easy breakfast recipes in6 categories:
- Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Breakfast Sandwiches,
Skyr May Not Be For Everyone
Certain people may not benefit from adding skyr to their diet.
Because skyr is made from milk, if you are allergic to casein or whey the two proteins found in milk you should avoid skyr.
For these individuals, skyr and other milk-based products can trigger an allergic reaction with symptoms ranging from bloating and diarrhea to anaphylaxis .
If you have lactose intolerance, figuring out whether youre able to tolerate skyr may be a question of trial and error.
Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk. Its broken down by an enzyme called lactase.
Those with lactose intolerance lack this enzyme, which can lead to stomach pain and other digestive side effects after eating products containing lactose .
Fortunately for these individuals, the process of straining skyr removes about 90% of its lactose content, so many people with lactose intolerance can tolerate moderate amounts of skyr.
However, its best to try a small amount first to make sure you dont experience any negative symptoms.
Skyr contains milk, so it may cause adverse effects in those with lactose intolerance and milk allergies.
What Are The Best Grains To Have For Breakfast
- Oatmeal. Oats are a great option if youâve gone gluten-free, says Tafur. Theyâre a warm option for breakfast on cold winter days, or they can be eaten cold after being refrigerated overnight if you prefer them that way.
- Quinoa. Who knew this high-protein option could be eaten at breakfast too? Donât be afraid to cook this and combine it with your favorite plant-based milk for a hot cereal alternative, says Tafur. âAdding cinnamon to this mixture can be the perfect alternative to a sugary granola,â she says.
- Rice. Another non-traditional breakfast item, you can prepare rice pudding with coconut milk and a little nutmeg and cinnamon for a simple breakfast with lots of flavor, says Tafur.
- Amaranth. This may be another grain youâre not familiar with. âAmaranth is a great alternative to oats and eaten in a similar manner,â says Tafur. âIt has a nuttier, courser texture, and is still packed with fiber to aid digestion.â
Oatmeal Blueberry Yogurt Pancakes
Making these pancakesâusing rolled oats and protein-rich Greek yogurtâcouldn’t be easier: Throw all the ingredients in a blender, then pour. Toss in a handful of ripe blueberries and youâll be leaving your blender out on your counter for another batch tomorrow morning too.
Per serving: 208 cal, 3.8 g fat, 30 g carbs, 13.6 g protein, 3.3 g fiber
Recommended Reading: Jimmy Dean’s Breakfast Sandwich
What Foods To Eat For Breakfast To Lose Weight
The best breakfasts start with healthy breakfast foods. These foods are the foundationthe building blocks if you willfor the meal that’s about to set the tone for your entire day.
These healthy foods are high in protein, low in unhealthy fats, rich in fiber, and low in calories.
Bookmark this article so you can always reference it when you’re building your grocery list.
Protein, 2 scoops: 3448 g
The American Society of Nutrition states that having a breakfast that is high in protein will not only benefit muscle health and support weight loss, but will also leave you feeling satiated and help with glucose regulation. Protein powder is the most versatile and nutrient-dense source of the musclebuilder nutrient, earning it a top spot on our list. Use it to make a high-protein smoothie, add it to oatmeal to amp up the protein count, use it to make a homemade nutrition bar, mix it into pancake mixthe options are truly endless. Want to grab a tub? Luckily, we tested 10 protein powders and found the best one!
Protein, per 3 oz: 17 g
Protein, per two large eggs: 12 g
“Eggs are an excellent source of protein and other healthy nutrients including fat-burning choline,” says , RD, CDN, CDE. Choline, also found in lean meats, seafood, and collard greens attack the gene mechanism that triggers your body to store fat around your liver.
Protein, per 2 tablespoons: 78 g
Breakfast Sandwiches And Toast
Breakfast sandwiches may be one of the best breakfast ideas out there! They are hearty and easy to eat, especially for kids.
There are so many delicious toppings to choose from, and as a result, the possibilities are endless. All of your favorite breakfast foods can be piled onto an English muffin, whole wheat toast, croissants, or baked in a pastry shell.
Breakfast sandwiches can be eaten alone, however adding some fruit on the side instantly creates a nice, sit-down morning meal or brunch.
Read Also: Healthy Breakfast Bars For Weight Loss
Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Original Biscuits
These bad boys are quite deceiving. The advertised 0 grams of trans fat on the label may give this bread a leg up compared to its competitors but turns out that claim may not be true. A discovered hidden ingredient is hydrogenated soybean oil, a secret agent for these unwanted dangerous fats. Just one of these biscuits provides you with a full 13% of your daily fat intake.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas To Make At Home
It seems like what should I make for breakfast? is always the question of the day. Especially when were trying to eat healthier, better for us foods that wont break the budget. But too often with the back-to-school rush of packing lunches, figuring out dinner plans, choosing healthy snacks, etc., breakfast can get left behind in the shuffle.
I know what youre thinking. But Im busy, I barely have enough time to put myself together in the mornings, let alone build a well-balanced breakfast. But you can. Making a healthy breakfast at home doesnt take much more time than hitting the bagel shop or McDs drive thru. With a little planning and an arsenal of no-fuss, healthy go-to recipes, you can assemble a decent breakfast in the A.M., or make it ahed of time to grab and go, and still get to work on time. I promise.
Check out the following 60 breakfast recipe ideas and see for yourself. Before you know it, your morning game will be stronger than ever.
Don’t Miss: Old Northside Bed And Breakfast
Homemade Pancakes & French Toast Aka Weekend Brunch Without The Wait
- Baked French Toast. What if you could make your French toast the night before? This cinnamon-y baked French toast recipe is your new breakfast BFF.
- Banana Pancakes with Caramelized Bananas and Toasted Pecans. Want the fluffiest of fluffy banana pancakes? We’ve got the pillowy, cloud-like pancakes you crave right here.
- Coconut French Toast with Apples and Pecans. Nothing says good morning quite like a plate of warm, soft French toast, especially when it’s piled high with poached apples and pecans.
- Trail Mix Pancakes. The perfect pancake breakfast for campingand just about anything else, too.
- Almond Poppyseed Pancakes with Cherry Syrup. With a subtle crunch, and sweet cherry syrup youll want to eat on its own, poppyseed pancakes offer a fun, tasty twist on a tried-and-true breakfast classic.
Best Healthy Breakfast Foods For Weight Loss
One of the best ways to get lean and start your day on the right foot is to eat a healthy breakfast for weight loss. That’s an indisputable fact, according to a Cornell University study. When researchers surveyed 147 slender people who said they’d never had to struggle with their weight, they found that a whopping 96 percent of them ate breakfast nearly every day. But it’s not just fit people who make sure breakfast is a part of their daily routine, it’s also people who want to lose weight.
It’s a staggering statistic: 78% of people who are able to lose weight and keep it off eat breakfast every day. That’s one of the findings of the National Weight Control Registry: an ongoing research project that has been collecting data for over 25 years on how people lose weight and keep it off.
Ok, so now that we know eating breakfast is importantwhether you want to lose weight or notbut what exactly is in a healthy breakfast for weight loss? We put together a list of the healthiest breakfast foods that deserve a spot in your morning meal as well as the breakfast recipes you can use them in.
Recommended Reading: What Time Does Mcdonalds Stop Serving Breakfast 2021
Best Healthy Breakfast Foods To Eat
The old saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day is often debated by health experts, but research overwhelmingly supports eating a well-balanced breakfast. What you eat at breakfast can affect your entire day. “Breakfast eaters get two main benefits: increased energy and reduced cravings,” says Lainey Younkin, M.S., R.D., L.D.N., weight loss dietitian at Lainey Younkin Nutrition. In fact, one study showed that eating a healthy breakfastspecifically one that includes proteinreduces hunger throughout the day and may even stop brain signals that drive you to eat more. Research also links breakfast consumption to better nutrient intake and better overall health.
But not all breakfasts are created equalthe quality of your breakfast matters. “A healthy breakfast should include high-fiber carbohydrates, protein and healthy fat,” notes Younkin. “Carbohydrates are your body’s main energy source, but choosing ones high in fiber like fruits, vegetables, oatmeal, or whole-wheat toast, slow down the spike of blood sugar and release of insulin, which keeps you full and energized for 3-4 hours. Protein and fat are also digested slowly and suppress hunger hormones, helping you stay full.”
Here are 10 of the best healthy breakfasts to eat according to dietitians.
Sugary Or Highly Refined Cereals
Despite their sweet, crunchy profile and common presence on the breakfast table, most sugary cereals wont sustain you for long.
Theyre typically full of sugar and low in protein, meaning that theyll rapidly increase your blood sugar levels. This can lead to irritability and hunger once the blood-sugar-reducing hormone insulin takes effect .
Likewise, even unsweetened cereals like corn or bran flakes tend to be low in protein, with just 2 grams of protein per cup and 4 grams of protein per cup , respectively. So, while they contain less added sugar, theyre still not the best way to start your day .
Even more natural-seeming options like granola are often loaded with added sugars, which have been linked to obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease .
For these reasons, while sugary or other highly refined cereals may be alright as a once-in-a-while treat, theyre not the best everyday breakfast option.
Read Also: Which Mcdonalds Have All Day Breakfast